Airmobile

So if say, a UH-60 Blackhawk had to insert troops into a hot LZ, would they just come in with both miniguns (how many models of UH-60s have miniguns anyway?) and any troops with the ability to fire their weapons outside the cabin a`blazin to keep anyone with a pesky shoulder mounted SAM with his face in the dirt? Are troops allowed to fire their small arms from within the cabin unless the situation is really bad?

So if say, a UH-60 Blackhawk had to insert troops into a hot LZ, would they just come in with both miniguns (how many models of UH-60s have miniguns anyway?) and any troops with the ability to fire their weapons outside the cabin a`blazin to keep anyone with a pesky shoulder mounted SAM with his face in the dirt? Are troops allowed to fire their small arms from within the cabin unless the situation is really bad?

The thing with the shoulder fired SAMs is that their range is greater than that of the small arms used by infantry being transported in the helicopter and probably even any mini-guns the black hawk might have.

From the reading I've done on the subject, which admittedly is not that much, the standard tactic for helicopter insertions is to fly in fast, nap of the earth and if possible via gaps in enemy observation or battle positions. Flying low and fast might draw some ground fire, but hopefully you'll go by so fast it won't be accurate and the enemy won't have time to deploy their SAMs against you. Speed being armor in this case.

As for actions at the LZ... I don't know. I would prep the LZ with artillery, along with several other dummy landing zones right before the landing. I might also throw in some Apache/Cobra CAS. Hopefully, this would suppress or kill enough enemy forces in the area to allow my troops to land and make for cover. This all of course would take a lot of coordination and even a bit of luck.

• 4 weeks later...