Crash to White Screen with CMSF

Gents,

I've discovered a new behavior with CMSF. While scrolling through the savegames, using the in-game menu, and clicking "Next" repeatedly, I can induce a lockup which results in a white screen.

The white screen is accompanied by the mouse cursor which assumes the vista "I'm doing something" symbol which is an open circle colored with a shifting blue pattern. This is similar to the old windows hourglass icon next to the cursor.

The specific parameters seem to be quitting a current game, selecting "Load", then clicking "Next" rapidly. As in two or more clicks per second. The list of savegames will freeze, usually after a dozen or more pages of "nexting", then the white screen appears.

I'm running Vista64 Ultimate on a q6600 with an evga8800GTX card.

I have noticed this new behavior after changing two other items of software: I've just upgraded from Rivatuner 2.20 to 2.21 (NO overclocks, just fan control: I made NO changes to any Rivatuner settings between versions); the other change was probably more significant. I went from nvidia Geforce driver v180.70beta to v180.84beta (I have Physx enabled).

I would think that the nvidia driver would be the most likely source of this new issue.

Is anyone else running 180.84? Is anyone else running Physx enabled? Has anyone else noticed this issue otherwise?

I will repeatedly encounter the same problem after the initial occurrance. I must ctrl-alt-del out of CMSF. Upon reopening CMSF if I attempt to access a savegame by clicking "Next" the whitescreen reappears. This secondary occurrance is not dependent on multiple or fast clicking.

A reboot clears the problem.

Finally, I would like to think there's a logfile somewhere of this problem. Vista recovers, and says it's searching for a solution. Whatever. Anyway, since the OS is running, I'd assume a logfile of the error gets created. Where would it be, and is anyone interested in seeing it?

Thanks,

Ken

Jason1980,

Thanks for the quick response. I've dug around a bit and found the following:

The changes made to my software prior to this instability showing included the following updates:

Kaspersky Anti-virus - from version 8.0.0.454 to v8.0.0.506

Nvidia Geforce Driver (from the nvidia website) - from version 180.70beta to v180.84beta

Nvidia Physx (part of the driver packages in v180.70b and 180.84b) updated w/v180.84b to v8.10.13

On to the logfiles...........

Event Viewer, Custom Views, Administrative Events:

The program CM Shock Force.exe version 0.0.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Problem Reports and Solutions control panel. Process ID: 1460 Start Time: 01c9604d26bbfa41 Termination Time: 27

Next, under

Problem Reports and Solutions, CM Shock Force.exe

Description

A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: AppHangB1

Application Name: CM Shock Force.exe

Application Version: 0.0.0.0

Application Timestamp: 00000000

Hang Signature: ab4e

Hang Type: 0

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Hang Signature 1: 09bf7e7ba9fc3e9ec83837d79c232824

Additional Hang Signature 2: b027

Additional Hang Signature 3: 2d20bd8dcc2e10f4863b59a6d81dfbd0

Additional Hang Signature 4: ab4e

Additional Hang Signature 5: 09bf7e7ba9fc3e9ec83837d79c232824

Additional Hang Signature 6: b027

Additional Hang Signature 7: 2d20bd8dcc2e10f4863b59a6d81dfbd0

Also, in Problem Reports and Solutions, Video Hardware (for the same date/time as the CMSF error) so this may be the root cause (or just a symptom!)...

Description

A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem

WD-20081217-0914.dmp

sysdata.xml

Version.txt

View a temporary copy of these files

Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem

BCCode: 117

BCP1: FFFFFA8009B2A4E0

BCP2: FFFFFA6002823AB0

BCP3: 0000000000000000

BCP4: 0000000000000000

OS Version: 6_0_6001

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 256_1

The files listed in this error, above, are available, but I don't want to post them unless someone thinks they'll be useful.

Meanwhile, over in my task tray sits a new icon. It is a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it. /!\ I would think that means something, yet there is no information bubble when I hover my cursor over it, left click it, or right click it.

On to the reboot.....

Thanks,

Ken

marsod,

In my case, I am all but convinced this is a manifestation of the common nvlddmkm crash. It is a TDR problem. In XP it would cause a BSD, in vista, the kernel isolates the errant video driver and closes the program using it, but keeps the OS running.

A search of nvlddmkm will reveal a LOT! (Those with ATI cards are not immune, they get an ati driver error.)

There seem to be many, many, many possible causes of the instabilities which cause this. Sometimes it's a bad video driver, or a PSU which is underpowered on one rail or another, or undervolted RAM, or overclocked CPU/RAM, or overheating somewhere.

Regards,

Ken