Heads Up, Byte Battlers! Input requested!

Hiya, all!

We've finally got down to designing a BB with A.I plans for both sides. Not all that sophisticated I admit but it's a start.

I personally find it a neat little battle but since I designed it I could well be completely off track. So if any of you would care to try it and give some feedback I'd be grateful.

The name of the scenario is "Byte Orchard" and you'll find it at the usual place (www.kretsen.nu/bytebattler/cmsf)

Also, thanks a bunch to those of you who so far have not only downloaded our battles but also been kind enough to leave positive comments on them here in the forum. It means a lot to us.

I played the Bye Armour and it was fun. I just get the feeling that there is little room for manuever and units are bit too many. Same for Byte Orchard. The map is almost a soccer field large yet we get Artillery,Kornets, Recoiless and tanks. If you keep these units we need a bit larger maps. Personally I'm in favour of larger maps with few units. It seems you have the talent for good map making so it is a matter of adding a few more square meters.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the Byte Battles.

I downloaded and played 3 last night.

Byte Insurrection, Byte Orchard and Byte Convoy. (That last one where you shepherd cargo trucks through the city.)

****SPOILERS ALERT!!***

Byte Convoy

FUN. When I first started it things went VERY badly. Within 5 minutes I lost 2 trucks and 2 LAVs to some very lucky RPG shots. But I was also being a bit stupid tactically. So I restarted and dismounted my scouts under overwatch. I moved them in bounds, with the LAVs using recon by fire.

My scouts would spot the enemy and my LAVs painted the building. Soon the scouts made it to the high ground and my trucks started inching forward. I started to get confident I'd be able to get through the city using the methodical approach. Then I hit the hornets nest and started to feel some pain. I tried to call in the Cobra's but the would never engage. But the insurgents ended up surrendering anyways and I never had to expose my trucks at all.

Really liked the map. Liked the units and forces involved. Couldn't get the air support to work. Neither of the gunships would actually fire, despite "ingressing to target" twice each. Perhaps my infantry were too close? Nice one!

Byte Insurrection

Really great map. Fun forces and story idea.

My troops hiding in the woods were easily spotted for some reason by the enemy in the prison. My artillery was fun. Smoke mission was inaccurate.

I did not like the arrival of the enemy reinforcements as they spawned right in amongst my men. But, I could explain that one away as an ambush. Had a lot of fun with this one. But I wish I could have gotten into the prison. So many enemy units in the prison that I decided just to sit back and paste it with everything I had. There was no need to ever really leave the tree line as the enemy surrendered under ARTY, BMP-3 fusilades and small arms fire.

Byte Valley

Another nice map. Those T-90's are terrifyingly fast and aggressive, but I managed to deal with them without too much trouble. The map is quite difficult to approach the enemy. You have to expose yourself as you crest the ridgeline and that's trouble. My U.S. artillery took way too long to ever drop. Not sure what I'm doing wrong with my arty . . .

Still, I'd like a slightly bigger map as well. Maybe just 1 tank, too.

I think I might try my hand at building some BB's as well. Thanks so much for providing the sight and the docs to put these together.

Gpig