Freezes after upgrade to Ti4600

I just replaced my POS TNT2 with a Gainward Ti4600. I installed the drivers of the CD and put on the 30.82 drivers. The game totally freezes up on me anytime I try to play. I suspect its something to do with 2x AGP operation on my crappy compaq mainboard. System is 1.2 ghz athlon, compaq board, 768 mb RAM. I've had lots of instabilty issues with other games, but this is the first time with CM. Any ideas?

Well, sir, you are in luck (I hope). You could very well be right about the AGP 2x thing. See this message I wrote:

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=002046

In your case though, you'd want to force it down to AGP2x. So instead of what I wrote, you'd use:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\System]

"ReqAGPRate"=dword:00000002

Hopefully that'll work for ya!

BeWary

That original post I made was for Win98. I don't know if the registry entry would be entered correctly on WinXP if you put that text in a file, right-click on it and select "merge". Did you browse down to that registry key and see if it was put in the right place with the right value?

You should be able to check the registry by going to Start -> Run and typing "regedit" (no quotes). If that doesn't work, try "regedt32".

You said you thought the original entry got messed up. Do a search in the registry for "ReqAGPRate". If you find any entries for this in a suspicious place or with the wrong value (i.e. 1 or 4), delete the key or change it to 2.

Worst case, just search your registry for "ReqAGPRate" and delete any keys you find. That would bring you back to square one but would prevent the need for an OS rebuild (maybe).

Let us know what happens.

BeWary

P.S. You did "uninstall" the drivers for your old TNT card first, select generic VGA drivers, rebooted, and then installed the new card and new drivers, right? If not, try uninstalling the drivers, selecting generic ones, rebooting, and reinstalling the new drivers.

P.P.S. You can back up your registry by using regedit. Just select Registry -> Export Registry File. Put it in a file somewhere safe (not in the Windows directory). If your system gets even more hosed for some reason, you could always import your saved registry.

Originally posted by BeWary:

That original post I made was for Win98. I don't know if the registry entry would be entered correctly on WinXP if you put that text in a file, right-click on it and select "merge". Did you browse down to that registry key and see if it was put in the right place with the right value?

[snip]

You said you thought the original entry got messed up.

[snip]

Let us know what happens.

BeWary

P.S. You did "uninstall" the drivers for your old TNT card first, select generic VGA drivers, rebooted, and then installed the new card and new drivers, right? If not, try uninstalling the drivers, selecting generic ones, rebooting, and reinstalling the new drivers.

P.P.S. You can back up your registry by using regedit. Just select Registry -> Export Registry File. Put it in a file somewhere safe (not in the Windows directory). If your system gets even more hosed for some reason, you could always import your saved registry.

Yep it worked getting it into the registry. The first I goofed up by using the 1x AGP and that messed it up bad. I booted into VGA mode via the safe mode screen and switched the value to 2 and my system was stable again. The card manual didnt say anything about deleting the old drivers so I didn't do it. After 15 minutes or so it crashed again and now freezes during the boot process in the middle of a disk check. I can't even get to windows at all. My system has always been horribly unstable so there's probably a whole bunch of other problems going on.

Edit: It feezes while trying to load MUP.sys when I boot into safe mode.

Edit of Edit: It boots into safe mode now and I reinstalled the TNT2 drivers, but it's still freezing when I try load my desktop.

[ October 18, 2002, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: panzerwerfer42 ]

Hmmm... if it has always been horribly unstable, then this is probably just a case of a bad install getting worse. It may be your best bet to do an OS reinstall. Though to make sure everything's off your machine, a hard drive reformat would be a good idea. Depending at how adept you are, you could manage to save a lot of your files on your hard disk without doing a reformat. Or you could always put them on a CD if you have a burner.

If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me at be.wary@verizon.net. I've installed many OS's from scratch, including WinXP.