Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Enemy AI doesn't like HUNT command

I've reworked Al Huqf as a testing type scenario and made it into a red defense map. Playing as red, I basically let my troops defend the buildings that make up the town center goal area.

On attack, I've noticed that Blue AI tends to maneuver basically with only SLOW moves or QUICK orders. I have yet to see them utilize HUNT command. Against defensive positions, this basically means one of two results: Slow crawl of death into a killing field, or BLUE soldiers rushing towards ( and into) enemy buildings and the expected slaughter of his forces. Interestingly, on some earlier run-throughs, when BLUE had the presence of mind to stop movement and return fire, they were able to overwhelm my troops with superior firepower....causing significant casualties and causing the inferior Syrians mechanized infantry to cower...buying them important time to move up and consolidate a base of fire.

However, when I moved the lone BMP-2 up to cover the approaches to what appeared to be the typical avenue of attack, the additional firepower simply devastates any possibility of BLUE reacting in a self-preserving manner. Apparently the 30mm cannon is just too efficient versus the highly erratic AK-74 fire which gives BLUE troops not enough time to react before going KIA. Choosing to simply feed additional squad elements into that approach despite the bodies piling up in clear view. It would be really great if the AI were smart enough to react appropriately under the circumstances. In this case, perhaps choosing to occupy the building directly behind the kill zone and use it's AT assets to try and kill the BMP-2 which it could fairly easily do from a stable, more covered position.

... Choosing to simply feed additional squad elements into that approach despite the bodies piling up in clear view. It would be really great if the AI were smart enough to react appropriately under the circumstances. In this case, perhaps choosing to occupy the building directly behind the kill zone and use it's AT assets to try and kill the BMP-2 which it could fairly easily do from a stable, more covered position.

A bump and a comment.

I agree with you. This "walking right into the pile of fallen fellow soldiers" is a total game killer to me. It looks like the AI reacts to the threat but most of the times is too late: too much firepower, teams get pinned and killed in no time. An easy solution for Battlefront would be to let the engine internally label the tiles where deaths have happened as no-go tiles for the AI. These labels could go away after a while. But in that way the AI could figure out a covered approach.

The day they fix this serious problem, CMx2 is going to be a totally different game.