BTS-Inconsistency with smoke rounds

Fred

Hello,

some minor problem with units firing smoke when not ordered to do so.

Tac-Sit:

A Pz IV H, with more than 40 HE rounds (and 8 smoke rounds) got the order to shell some britisch infantry 240 m away(normal Target order). There was no other threat around, only this infantry in a foxhole in the woods.

The very first thing the Pz IV did after hitting GO, was to fire 2 smoke rounds at the infantry, instead of HE.

Then it fires HE, but not for long because its own smoke rounds screened the infantry from further fire!

This happens with other vehicles too; firing smoke INSTEAD of the ordered HE ammo, even if there is no threat (like in the Pz IV example).

A bug?

Fred

Guest Madmatt

The smoke logic is based on two main points.

#1 HE is is not having much of an effect on the target

and

#2 The target is actively engaging another friendly unit.

Many people come back with the same argument that "Had the Ai followed my HE order it would have killed the target", well the TacAi will sometimes disagree with that assesment since it sees that the HE wasn't doing enough (or any) damage. In that case it tries to help out a friendly unit by smoking in the threat.

Keep that logic in mind when you see smoke being used. It's not always perfect but than neither is war.

Madmatt

Madmatt,

please allow me to disagree.

In the main discussion board are a lot of people that experienced the same as me regarding the use of not ordered smoke screens.

Look at my example; after firing two smoke shells, the Pz IV (Veteran) fired some HE shells, before the smoke screened the Britisch soldiers (that were no threat to anyone). These two HE shells made the guys leave their position, so 75 mm HE is quite effective vs. infantry targets.

You will find other examples of this behaviour (that almost always helps the enemy!) in the main discussion board.

Maybe Charles can take a second look at the code logic, if he has some time wink.gif

Fred