Disappointment

Hej,

been playing CMSF for a couple of months now. I'm one of those people who refuses to spent hundreds of euro on an up-to-date pc just to enjoy the fancy new improvements on some game.

The notebook I use currently I bought in January 2005 with components who probably came out in 2004. So it's pretty old. But I could play CMSF on it. During intense firefights there of course was fps drops sometime, but generally performance was acceptable. And I love the game for that.

But the new v1.07 patch messed the whole game up for me. After updating my graphic card drivers I get some weird graphical error when ever I start CMSF (doesn't happen with other games). In the menu everything is fine again. When trying to play the game sometimes I get CTD when only clicking on a unit. Even with the ATI click thingie turned on, I still get the same CTD. Sometimes after 30secs sometimes after 5mins. In addition to that performance is much worse. Even with everything on 'fastest' the performance during the setup phase the game is like what I experienced with prev-1.07 during heavy firefights. So basically unplayable.

I understand you guys have to make the game look nice to compete with all the fancy graphics of new games. But that's pretty much the death sentence for people wiht older systems (and I'm sure there were a few like me playing CMSF)

Make sure you downloaded the correct patch. If you downloaded the paradox patch when you needed the battlefront patch you will have big time problems.

Same goes if you downloaded the battlefront patch and needed the paradox patch.

You may have to do a clean install of the game and then make sure you have the correct patch.

Good to hear that I'm not the only one for whom reverting back to older drivers has worked out. Interesting though that you have a Radeon card and I have a Nvidia card. Something tells me that something has gone wrong on the Battlefront side of things, not so much on the driver side of things.

No, if it works with older drivers, then it means something in the drivers has changed, which is directx 10 in some cases, and different ways to access the video hardware.

They even sent ATI a post with the problem of the driver, and how to fix it, which ATI has not done yet [newer drivers, not sure]

Nvidia, it seems to be hit and miss on cards, I have Vista 64 and a 8800gtx and have ZERO issues, others with the same combination have issues. Card settings or drivers could be the difference.

Rune

I dont think it all CM because my good pc crashes a lot when im playing and my old crappy one with old intel graphics card has no problem, the graphics just suck.

My good pc is AMD x2 64 dual 4800+ 2.41 ghz

2 gig ram, 8600 gts with the lated drivers, all in an asus a8n premium board.

I dont even know what my work pc has, but its crap and i have zero problems playing on it.

I may try tolling back my grpahic drivers to see if that helps, as some have testified too.