Unusual Targeting Behavior

An opponent and I were playing the "Singling Shootout" scenario. His Sherman 105 was near the center of the map next to one of the small buildings along the road. In an effort to flush out/suppress suspected enemy units to his front, the Sherman 105 area targeted a building to his front. The area targeting line was clearly shown.

During execution, the Sherman 105 put four HE rounds into the small building right next to him! (To my opponents dismay, bringing it down on an American infantry squad and artillery spotter inside.)

Any idea what happened? :confused: Is this a possible bug? Our thinking was that the AI could certainly make a mistake and put a round or two in the way wrong place--especially if it was peeking around a corner. But four rounds smacks of gross negligence!

Thanks, Kurt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Any idea what happened? Is this a possible bug? Our thinking was that the AI could certainly make a mistake and put a round or two in the way wrong place--especially if it was peeking around a corner. But four rounds smacks of gross negligence! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think it's a bug. If the targeting line passed too closely to the building the 105 was sitting next to, it's entirely possible that it could hit that building instead of the one targeted. I found that out myself in a PBEM in which I knocked down a building one of my Shermans was peeking around. (Fortunately, it was a good thing in my case, because it helped that Sherman get LOS to my opponent's Panther, which was KO'd by a side shot! :D ) Also be sure to examine targeting lines with units at realistic scale, because it will give a better portrayal of how close the lines come to possible obstacles.