pre mission briefing screen

The mission briefings, I took a look at the briefing file and seems almost straight forward. I'm just missing a few pieces to this puzzle.

Are the briefings created separate to the editor as an xml file? Is there an example of how to create a brief.

And where does everbody get those nice TGA maps from.

Thanks

Nikki

You have to create the briefing text in the campaign section of the editor as well as the pointers to the map files for each of the missions/submissions.

The actual maps you can create using a graphics package (I use PSP). They must be saved as a 512x512 TGA file. Webwing has a good tutorial which got me started, I can confirm his recomendation that your 1st priority is to make a 'clean' version of the map to use as a base for your briefing graphics.

Ouch. Needs to be some more to it. Hard to source "How to" info

I created mission and submission in the campaign editor. Created the briefing TGA and linked it in the Layer. But its not showing. I seem to be missing a MAT file that points to it.

thanks

[ December 16, 2007, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: Nikki Mond ]

I did try copying the briefing mat, all I get is a white blank window at the briefing, with a question mark in the corner.

I tested and the submissions all work ok. Just the tga aint showing. Cant figure it out.

BTW I found your site Rofl today doing a search and used your maps and arrows etc. Thanks

Hey can I send this mission and the campaign files to somebody to have a look at? I cant resolve this at all. Probably a missing tag. Its got me stumped, I can't think of anything else to try

showpt3.jpg

[ December 17, 2007, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: Nikki Mond ]

Originally posted by Gnasher:

Have you set the layer to point to the briefing in the campaign editor section?

Yes I am well versed in the Campaign Editor. And folder attributes are open. The layers are set.

The campaign editor is not saving cleanly. the mission descriptions and SID are missing when I re-open the editor, although at the submission1 level all is still there. I have deleted and reinstalled the whole game a couple times now including the tools. But this is likley at the register level.

There is no way in the campaign editor to cleanly delete old versions of battles. Even if you take out the folders the xml files are there, and register values.

Old versions still show up, and can corrupt

So lesson learned. I am going to put the mission on CM mods. Its complete. Plays well (I think). And maybe someone could give me some feed back.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hello mates!!,

Nikki Mond, this is your lucky day man :D

After 5 months or so of being disappointed with TOW game in general for the reasons everyone knows, and wandering around the last few days to see if the new promised patch is available in order to give it a try before I decide wether to put the game in the bin or not ;) I saw your post requesting help because the white screen on the briefing screen.

Well, I´m gonna paste below some information I got straight from 1C developers when TOW was released and I was trying to build some missions using the scripts provided for the old mission builder (hard job have to say btw) so you can see where is your mistake that was mine a few months ago.

Hope you can fix this after reading it.

Your mistake is simple: you attached your briefing files to campaign.xml. It means that you are trying to create "campaign briefing", not a "mission briefing" (<CampaignName>-><MissionName>->Layer attribute is used for big maps of campaign briefing.

The first mistake, your campaign type is MISSION_LIST. For MP_LIST and MISSION_LIST campaign briefing maps are not shown (because it is just a simple list of missions). If you want your campaign briefing to be shown you must include your mission to campaign of CAMPAIGN type (like a GERMANY or POLISH) . If your want your mission to be the first in this campaign, you must set the lowest number of it (e.g. "-1") in campaign.xml (or in CampaignEditor).

The second mistake, your *.mat and *.tga files must be placed in campaign directory and must be of 1024x512x244bpp in size.

If you create a mission briefing, *.mat and *.tga files must be placed into mission directory. Look at submission items of the mission (e.g. SINGLE_MISSIONS->Assault->Submissions->Submission_1). They also have Layer attribute. It is the attribute that must have a reference to *.mat file of mission briefing. Pay attention to a screenshot that I posted in a forum http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=66;t=000145

It fixed my problem, so It will do the same with yours.

:D