Strong at Heart; Rusian campain, kursk

I tried all possible ways to beat this scenario, but it seems totaly impossible. Loads of Elefants brumbars and tigers, I wonder what the person was thinking about when making this scenario? They did an awfull job in creating this one. Even some reinforcement spawns in the line of fire from the elefants, I mean really....HOW did they reason? I will have to edit it myself. Good thing they included a editor.

Anyone who managed to clear this one, please share with us how you did it?

[ May 06, 2007, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: chanss ]

Originally posted by MajorPrivate:

LOL edited it. I tried it like 10 times.

I am on a mission now that has 5-6 T-34/85s going up aginst 6-8 King Tigers, and a coupla 4s and 3s whoa!!!11

Woow....... gets even better I can see.

Yeah managed to beat it myself after a few hours, only to run into the following mission with more tigers then you have tanks!

Anyways for the elephants hit the tracks. As long as nothing is in their sights, the crews will bail. When you have those 3 T-34s appear as your first wave as reinforcements, have them go straight along the rail way tracks. There is a depession on one side that allows you to hide, then pop up and get some flank shots on enemy tanks.

Most of all, save often when ANYTHING goes good for you. I had to reload often just so a tank would fire and miss that time rather then hit. The Game hitting is based on percentages, so if you get hit, then reload, the next time the tank may miss on the same shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Played this one the other night. Thought I had them in the end, and low and behold the AI comes at me with more tigers and ferdinands.... :(

I am all for editing this one. In real life the Russians atleast had the advantage in numbers... Cant recall, but if this mission is taking place in the southern flank, the Germans only had the Ferdinands in the North. I am doing fairly well with the game, but there are a mission or 2 in each campaign that I can not beat. This may be one of them, but it would have been nice to have it a little more realistic in the Order of Battle.

Mike

Yet when you play the German mission at Kursk, not a Ferdinand in sight, but over 30 T34 and Su122. That's tough with only a half-dozen German tanks!

Having trouble enough with that one, this mission doesn't sound like fun!

I beat it last night finally! Only lost 4 infantry and one StuG III plus crew! Ouch those SU122 hurt: 1 shot and BAM StuG and crew KIA.

Took it nice and slow, let them come to me, nice slow recon, and overwhelming firepower once I found someone. But man sometimes tanks can be very slow to engage.

So now I see a bit more hope for being able to play and beat Strong at Heart... but not much. It'll be nice to be the one shooting with the ZiS-2 for a change. I hate those things.

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot manage to win the Russian "strong at heart" mission eather. Played it several times, but the best I came up with is destoying the first wave of tanks and a almost all the Ferdinands.

The Tigers are the monsters. I hit one several times from the side, but it shot me without a scratch. My last attempt was a armor granade and I managed tot get some damage...but that's about it...

anyone can help?

On the turretless german armor, ALWAYS aim for the tracks(low aimpoint). That will make the crew bail out after a while if tracks are out. The rest off the tanks, aim for the gun ALWAYS (high aimpoint). You hit they cant hurt you!

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have any suggestions for improving this mission? I don't really want to remove the Ferdinands or Tigers, so giving the player more firepower seems like the best option. Did any T-34/85s, SU-85s and/or SU-100s see action at Kursk?

The main problem with the difficulty of this mission seems to be that, other than the SU-122's HEAT shells (only 4 rounds per vehicle, most of which seem to miss) you have absolutely nothing that will penetrate the frontal armour of Ferdinands and Tigers, and even side/rear shots with the 76mm (T-34s and ZIS-3) only have a chance at close range.

Unlike many of the missions in ToW, you aren't significantly outnumbered by the enemy in this one, but this doesn't make much difference when the enemy armour is near-invulnerable to anything you throw at it!

Where does this battle take place at? If it was in the south, there were no Ferdinands there. They were all in the northern pincer of the bulge. In the south the germans had mainly mkIV's, mkIII's and some tigers. So, I dont know why there are so many Ferd's attacking on the map, and it would have been nice if they would have given the Russians some Su-85's, T-34/85(there were a few at Kursk), and I think the SU-152 made its presence there...

Mike

I think my starting AT capability was 4 AT guns and 4 T34s. Early on I received 3 T34s in the left reinforcement area. Later reinforcements are 1 SU and 5 T34s on the right and 3 T34s and 3 SUs on the left.

With those sort of assets the mission is quite doable.

All the germans appear on the map from one direction. It is relatively easy to approach up the left and right sides of the map completely hidden.

Therefore, getting side shots on the german armour is not hard. As previously discussed the ferdinands only need to be tracked.

Only 3 tigers appear. They split up and attack seperately. Concentrating numbers on each isolated tiger will win the day.

I like this mission because it one of the few where the player has large numbers of armoured units.