fps drop with ATI GPU and TOW

Good news for a change ;)

TOW played fine and had no fps drop for me (AMD X2 4600 with both cores enabled in TOW, 2 GB RAM, ATI 1950 PRO, Vista 32bit) as long as I had all shadows DISABLED. This was the case with the original TOW, with the patched version of TOW and with both ATI drivers 7.3 and 7.4. It was the only technical problem I had with TOW

After upgrading to 7.6 everything runs smooth and easy on highest settings - including self-shadowing on!!! So far I have not seen any other problems after upgrading to 7.6.

Maybe not Battlefronts or 1C merits - but who cares.

Uwe

With the old drivers and shadows on, I had ~1-3fps. Now with 7.6 drivers I get an estimated 25+ fps (same with the old drivers and shadows off). I have TOW running on 1280x960 on a CRT.

UTexGrad, do you have the same issue with the shadows or is your framerate generally low with TOW? For me it was only the shadows that slowed down everything before 7.6.

Uwe

I have the same issue with shadows. If I turn them off I can get 13-20 FPS without overclocking, depending on how many units are on the screen, etc.

But shadows REALLY slow things down for me even with the 7.6 drivers. I have to overclock to even get 11 fps when I have them on.

BTW, I'm running 1280 X 1024 because I have a flat panel monitor.

Yeah, it's a real bummer how LCD's look like drek when run outside of their native res.

Unfortunately, monitor resolution increases are out=pacing the rate at which you can play the games and still get decent frame rates when using the native resolution of the monitor.