Load entire CD on HardDrive?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nortons:

I am using CM-Beyond Overlord on a Mac. Can the CD be loaded onto the HD so I don't need the CD drive? Thanks for your help.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can use Disk Copy to make an image of the CD. I've been able to get the game to run using the mounted disk image. It has to be a read-only disk image.

Very handy for my laptop when I want to bring the game with me when I travel, and don't want to lug the CD along!

------------------

--

Toad

Ontario, Canada

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rob/1:

Yes you can do that Toad but do you have a P.C or a Mac?I don't know if you can do that on a Mac and I have one! smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I'm talking about Apple's Disk Copy for the Mac.

------------------

--

Toad

Ontario, Canada

This actually works?

I was under the assumption that CM looked for the CD copy for copy-protections reasons. This sounds like an easy way to defeat it, too easy. I thought that there was a hard encoding on the CD, like predetermined bad sectors, that could not be copied, and to defeat it, the checking code would have to be bypassed.

yes this works. i've been playing that way too - frees up the cd drive and it's way more convenient to mount an image than stick in a cd

makes piracy too easy, though, so i guess this will go the way of a pdf manual sooner or later <sigh>

fwiw, i did buy it. none of my friends knew of it let alone had it. besides, it's just too good, after my first game on the demo i -had- to buy it just to say thanks with my credit card smile.gif

Yep, it works. I agree, the game is great. I purchased it after playing the demo for an afternoon. Big thanks to Toad and the rest for the help! I'm ticked though that a Tiger disappeared when I attacked it, then reappeared when my guy was facing the other way. Arrgh!

------------------

Steve