TOW will not launch

Hey Speedee, did you email me directly at the suppport address too? I am working with a couple of people in email, but wasnt sure if one of them was you or not.

You had a Nvidia card right? You did the tweaks I listed specifically for Nvidia cards from my guide? You got the very latest drivers?

What about setting Anistropic and Anti-Aliasing to "Application Preference"?

Lastly, see my latest guide update about setting the Page File, it could be that the game is running out of memory and immediately exiting. Setting the Page File as I mentioned in the guide could help with that.

Page File Optimizations

We have been getting very good results with some slight tweaks to the Windows Page File. The Page File is used by Windows to cache frquently accessed information and data on your hard drive. For everyday use, you usually do not need to change the default settings for this Windows managed file, but by tweaking the its' configuration, you can gain performance and stability in Theatre of War (as well as other games and applications).

Usually the Page File size is set to "dynamic", meaning that Windows enlarges and reduces the size of this file as it see's fit. However, that can lead to occasional file fragmentation which then leads to system performance issues.

We suggest setting a specific size for this file. In XP, the page file settings are accessed by going to: Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel > System > Advanced tab > Performance Settings group > Advanced tab – Virtual Memory.

Once there, click “Custom size” and set both the “Initial size” and the “Maximum size” to at least 2000 MB, 3000 is MUCH better. With this fixed size, the page file is now “locked” so Windows will no longer dynamically control the size of the file and as a result also reduce file fragmentation and improve performance.

Note: You will need to make sure that you have enough free space on your hard drive to accomodate the new Page File Size.

We also suggest defragging the Page File and the hard drive its located on from time to time. This can be done with either a 3rd Party Defrag Program (usually used on your hard drive) or with the Windows Defrag Program ( Start Menu>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Defragmentor).

Madmatt

Heya Madmatt, no I have not conversed to you via email, but you correct I have a 8800GTX and I have tried everything posted on your tips page. My paging file size is already set to custom size (initial = 3070MB Max = 6000, and Tow still refuses to start up. I know I said I have TOW working on the wifes machine, but this is costing me dearly with all the extra honey do's I now have to perform to have the privalidge of using her computer (she's hinted about painting the house next week !!). So please, I need to get TOW working on my machine.

Thanks,

Speedee

Please, describe your system in full detail:

1. What is your operating system (and a service pack)?

2. What is your CPU?

3. How much RAM do you have?

4. What video card do you have? What is a version of its drivers?

5. Do you launch the game as an admin or as a limited user?

6. Can you launch demo-version? Does it work?

7. Did you successfully register the game? Did you see eLicense window when it was launched for the first time?

8. What happends when you try to launch tow.exe? What mistakes does it throw?

9. What directory did you install the game to?

Will do Dmg.

1.Operating system - XP Home service pack 2 with all updates done but EI 7.0

2.CPU - amd x2 4800+

3.Ram - 2gb corsair low latency

4.Video card and drivers - Geforce 8800 GTX using the 97.29 drivers

5.I launch the game with an admin user

6.The demo was a no go as well

7.Had no problems registering/licensing the game

8.When I try to launch all that happens is the hour glass comes up, a momentery black screen, the video card then changes resolutions, then nothing. It stays at the desktop.

9.Default directory, I'll confirm the specifics when I get back home

Again thanks for the assistance

Speedee

1. Try to install this driver http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_158.22.html

(It was issued a week ago, and the game should work with it). Does it help?

2. Try to rename title.avi to title.bak in the ToW directory. Does it help?

3. Open towsetup, choose the video mode with the lowest resolution and the lowest framerate. Does it help?

If nothing helps, please, email me the message with the link to this forum to gavd@1c.ru

[ May 09, 2007, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: dmg ]