MP Nightmare

Myself and a friend yesterday tried and failed miserably to create and play a MP game.

Now the interesting bit..... we both followed the instructions to the letter matching every detail specified. We, over TS both rechecked eachothers port forwarding to just double check everything was as it should be....guess what?

I could join when he hosted but he could not join when I hosted...

The problem was when we joined his game it was playing at 1-2 fps. Where as my system which is better suited to host was not connecting.

HELP Please with any advise!!!!!!

What speed (Client and Host) did you select in the MP config panel? Try a slower speed and make sure its the same for both of you.

Make sure the host does NOT have the Smooth Movement option checked.

If you havent already, try and use the "use only One CPU" option, we have seen where that setting can greatly reduce overall lag.

Madmatt

Thanks for the reply MadMatt...

We both read the forum before trying to setup the game. So we made sure that we started at the slowest speed thinking once the connection was made we'd work up from there.

Smooth Movement was unchecked!

Neither of us suffer from lag normally in game...it was purely the connection speed.

I was the other player involved in these experiment.

We appear to have identified two separate issues.

1. The first one is The Brit's unability to host a game despite the port forwarding on his router being configured the same way as mine.

2. The speed issue. It should probably be pointed out that the game did not lag for me (the host). We are currently planning to experiment a bit more with the speed settings to see what effect they have. Does the speed settings effect both the host and the client? If htey effect both do they need to be set to the same value for both host and client?

We are playtesting some improvements to the MP code right now, hopefully, this will be included into the first game patch.

As to the speed setting, we have found that making sure both the client and host use the same speed setting is very important. Basically, set it to lowest speed of anyone connecting.

Madmatt