Some thoughts about soldier skill sets

SlapHappy

I've noticed some things about how the soldiers skills are implemented and would like to make some comments.

I know that when you pre-assign one of the four skill levels to your troops in the editor that the game randomly generates skills with a heavy emphasis on the unit's job from a max point total. However, you still seem to get some bizarre results, IMO. For instance, if you assign a "veteran" level crew to a tank you often get a gunner who has decent gunnery skills but is a complete coward (leadership less than 20). This means he will tend to flip out and quit firing when confronted by enemy units. And because the same thing can happen to the loader, you again end up with a somewhat ineffective group because he will cease loading the gun.

Perhaps the total points allocated are too low for each skill? I'm not suggesting that the game should generate super-troopers that are never affected by anything, but it seems like a veteran unit should not be this prone to this type of problem.

Also a lot of people (or the skills generator) are ignoring the scouting skill entirely...such that you end up with troops with no skill level whatsoever...they're like visually impaired people out there on the battlefield.

Also the distribution of points by level should perhaps be less linear and more of a curve which tends to push most guys into the median? That way guys who are very skilled stormtrooper types would be possible, but rarer while the really crummy level troops would be possible but equally rare.

I think this might be part of the reason why the infantry seem so limited on the battlefield...too many troops overly handicapped by their low or non-existent skill levels...

I think there are too many skill points...

I'm into long campaigns and if you really watch out for your men (even infantry can survive if the arti ain't lucky) they get experienced way to quick...

Id like some higher initial numbers but less gain together with long dynamic campaigns ;)