Long Life and Happiness

Fifty Cal'

What this game is crying out for (now) is a "Quick Battle" option.

Not just to see new mods but also test them.

Also "It" would provide longevity for multiplayer games (as in CM:**), I play MP (online - internet) at least once a week and the set maps/forces are quite limited already.

Not only that but, with no pause button, online battles are MUCH quicker than in CM:**, even than when using a 3 minute time limit between turns. This means in an evening instead of a single CM:** battle you can do 2 or 3 TofW battles. So you get through the limited battle map options fairly quickly :(

(apologies if this has been promised and I've missed that post)

It could be done with a program to logically recreate the parameters included in the .xml mission file using randomizer tables to create map choices, forces, etc. The hard part would be auto-generating enemy AI troop movements ala the scripting language.

For missions which involve player troops attacking stationary, defending AI enemy the task would be much simpler.

I guess this would show the difference in AI between TofW and the CM:** series for example.

The AI in CM had its own quirks, though not too bad (I'm thinking of when you defend against the AI, they were a bit sporadic in attack), I'm guessing that in TofW that quirkiness needs more control through the use of good/complex mission design, I've noticed in another thread how hard it is for someone trying to write a new, historically accurate, campaign.

I guess, as it stands at the moment, that if, in a TofW quick battle, the AI had all it's forces "dumped" into a quick battle map they would sit there until they see the players 1st unit then they would all charge off at that unit as they like to do!

As you say slaphappy, if the AI were put into defensive positions, as the AI is on some multiplayer maps, it would work pretty much OK.