Multiplayer LAN games

Mods, administrators, developers,

Please help. We are trying to setup a simple 1vs1 LAN game but we can't. The host (creates game) and the guest tries to join (over LAN not Internet) but as soon as the game is loaded on the host, it ends in Victory and kicks out in the next menu.

We tried from different computers hosting with same results. What is going on? We just want to test a few simulations (making up for custom battles missing from the game. Hint, hint!).

Please advise as to why we can't setup a LAN game.

If anyone has seen this issue and knows the cure, please let me know.

I believe the real value of this game is in multiplay and human versus human. No matter how many patches we get, the AI will always be either sub-human or cheating unrealistically.

Over and out.

Please help. We are trying to setup a simple 1vs1 LAN game but we can't. The host (creates game) and the guest tries to join (over LAN not Internet) but as soon as the game is loaded on the host, it ends in Victory and kicks out in the next menu.

Start the game server, go to the lobby (the menu where you can choose maps) and wait for the clients to connect. When all clients are connected, they should press ready button and the server may start the game.

If the server starts the game before any the clients connected, it will immediately win the mission when the loading completes (because there is only one player in the game). Clients cannot connect when the game is on. They must connect when the server is in the lobby.

I had no problem setting up a LAN game between my computer and my son's, however, the games were all too laggy to be considered playable. My Dell XPS runs the game great, my son's computer is a little slower, but it only works (gets connected) if my son's computer hosts, but I would think a direct connection shouldn't play that bad. I'm figuring any connections over the internet would be even worse and am probably not going to even try.

dmg,

Thanks for the hint. We got the LAN game started.

Unfortunately, the game freezes a few minutes into it. There is not much action. It is early in the game. The host computer freezes (task manager says the "Theatre of war" is unresponsive. Obviously, the guest gets a message saying the host has dropped!!

We tried a couple of times from each PC hosting with same result. Honestly speaking, I don't think the multiplayer was tested and it doesn't seem to be ready. My LAN connection is clean and is 1 Gbps. It runs other multiplayer games flawlessly. So, the problem is with the games's multiplayer stability. That is a shame.

Please request the multiplayer stability be fixed as top priority in the next patch along with LOS/LOF issues. This game will not last without a playable multiplayer option (at least start with LAN if Internet is too far away a goal to reach).

It was very disappointing to abort the multiplayer session as we really looked forward to human versus human encounter. What pitty.

Over and out.

As far as I understand the game client connects to the lobby successfully and the problems happen right after loading the network mission, don't they?

1. If you play the LAN and your connection is very stable, open towsetup tool and change both the server' and the clients' speed to 1000000 or 2000000 bytes per second. Also set the checkbox Smooth Unit Placement. Then press OK button and launch the game once again. Do it for the game host and for all the game clients.

2. What mission do you experience the problems with? Try to load another network mission, does it work OK?

3. Do you have the game freezes when playing in the single player mode? If yes, try the tips at http://www.battlefront.com/products/tow/troubleshooting.html#crashes

[ May 22, 2007, 02:40 AM: Message edited by: dmg ]

dmg,

Both the PCs run the single-player game flawlessly. The multiplayer issue showed

up with 3 maps we tried (2-player, 4-player,

and 6-player maps).

I still have the LAN setup. I will try your suggestion tonight and report back around midnight.

I haven't used the towtool yet but I assume it is straightforward executable from TOW directory!!

Over and out.

dmg,

Thanks for the hint! This should be made a sticky or it should be a clear option in the multiplayer menu.

Following your suggestion, I was able to run the multiplayer game beautifully. It worked the best at 2,000,000 Bytes/sec. I will do more testing now that I am passed the freeze zone!

ARFF1,

I strongly recommend you change your setting in "towsetup" tool. The default LAN speed is set to 25,000 Bytes/sec which is rediculously slow. Also,

the "smooth unit movement" box is NOT checked by default and it SHOULD! It will run the game much smoother and with no choppiness.

Mods and developers,

I think the speed setting should be one of the configurable options in the main multiplayer menu.

Even the highest setting (2,000,000 Bytes/sec) is only 16Mbps. Most LANs run at least 100Mbps and many are running 1000Mbps (1Gbps). All new computers ship with 1Gbps NICs. The default setting (25,000 Bytes/sec) translates to only

200Kbps which is less than the speed of most DSL modems at homes these days.

All,

If you have been trying Multiplayer, make sure you try again with these settings changed as described in this thread. It should make the games a lot smoother and more stable.

Over and out.

The speed 25,000 Bytes/sec fits best non-stable Internet playing mode. That is why it was set by default. The same is for the smooth unit movement default value.

There is no need to set the speed higher than 2,000,000 Bytes/sec, because the game doesn't spawn so much traffic. Though you may type any other speed you want in the towsetup's speed combobox.

dmg,

I understand the Internet (WAN) bandwith issue but this thread is about LAN!!

LAN speeds are 100Mbps or 1000Mbps, so there is really no reason to hard-code the speed tp 200Kbps and waste all that bandwidth available in LAN.

At least in my case, the difference was like day and night!

I think today's users are sophisticated enough to choose the speed (either WAN/Internet or LAN) from a select menu. It is not as intuitive to edit a file to force the speed. Just my 2 cents.

I am just happy that I can run the multiplayer smoothly now. But the multiplayer gameplay is another thread!!

Over and out.