Historical accuracy of battles

Avwriter

First off this is not intended as a criticism, nor as kindling for a flame war. This is more for the sake of curiosity than anything else.

Most of the default battles included in TOW are of a relatively small scale, and generally depict individual skirmishes rather than entire battles. I was wondering about the intentions and efforts of those who designed the battles and campaigns.

1. Are the campaign battles intended to literally replicate specific skirmishes, or are they just generally inspired by the conditions of the historical battles?

2. Depending upon the answer to the above, are the maps included based on real locations of these skirmishes, or were they randomly generated?

In my review of the german campaign I put in some pics about a real location and then the game screen. :)

It was about the Houffalize mission, which turned out to be Bastogne.

Bastogne they called it in the mission editor and fil mentioned it, too. But the mission text speaks about Houffalize.

Anyway, neither Houffalize nor Bastogne looks even close to what it looks like in the game. It`s really pity, because in IL-2 there are huge cities even with famous landmarks. ...And now the buildings don`t look much prettier than before. :)

Originally posted by DeLaVega:

In my review of the german campaign I put in some pics about a real location and then the game screen. :)

It was about the Houffalize mission, which turned out to be Bastogne.

Bastogne they called it in the mission editor and fil mentioned it, too. But the mission text speaks about Houffalize.

Anyway, neither Houffalize nor Bastogne looks even close to what it looks like in the game. It`s really pity, because in IL-2 there are huge cities even with famous landmarks. ...And now the buildings don`t look much prettier than before. :)

...and also real huge maps like finnald,

very strange that TOW maps are so damn small :mad:

If you will recall, the maps in the original Il-2 were also relatively small. As time went on, however, bigger and more detailed maps were added by the developers.

I don't suppose that there is any way that the maps from Il-2 could be made compatible with TOW. Not all would be appropriate, of course, but some would be great. The Carpathian map (the one with tall mountains) for example would be fantastic. The Leningrad and Stalingrad maps would also be cool. Even if we cant enter the buildings, it would be great fun to fight form street to street.

Originally posted by Avwriter:

If you will recall, the maps in the original Il-2 were also relatively small. As time went on, however, bigger and more detailed maps were added by the developers.

I don't suppose that there is any way that the maps from Il-2 could be made compatible with TOW. Not all would be appropriate, of course, but some would be great. The Carpathian map (the one with tall mountains) for example would be fantastic. The Leningrad and Stalingrad maps would also be cool. Even if we cant enter the buildings, it would be great fun to fight form street to street.

I never would expect to see a map size with 100 or more kilometers but those 2x2 km are just a bad joke :rolleyes: