Mixed feelings about the actual state of TOW

DeLaVega

Maybe I should mention that Kettenhund and me are not talking about the audio quality or the sample rate here. It`s just the choice of the sound files for each weapon.

In this video from TOW you have a quite good example of gun sounds which are used in so many 2.WW games and go back to the old "Close Combat" series.

If you watch it until 01:20 min. you can here the HMG sound.

And in comparison this one from COH:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XoZl2IdhiM

If you wait until around 01:20 you can hear the HMG without the disturbing other gunshots.

And this is what I meant. In the TOW video I miss the mechanical metal sounds. There`s no flow, just the same nock, nock, nock sound file again and again. And this is a pity, because TOW`s overall look gives a very good impression. I think the tank models are nearly unmatched. With the realism options and battle distances it could be huge.

Sound design is very hard and will always be a matter of personel preference.

Some people, really like the over-the-top type sound effects. Yeah, i am kinda in that camp as well.

Other people prefer realism in their sounds, and thats always been the approach I tried to take in games where I helmed the sound work.

Yes, I LIKE Hollywood, but I try and MAKE realism.

As Moon stated above, I really like the sound effects in ToW. Are some of them the same sounds as in IL-2? Probably, but I liked the sounds in Il-2 as well.

ToW sound effects seem to walk a fine line between realism, playability/variety (with various weapons having unique sounds) and enjoyment (explosions sound beefy, and important events have signature sounds).

I think they pulled off a very good overall sound design. Do I froth at the mouth at every little sound, No (although attaching the camera to a tank and listening as the driver grinds up through the gears is pretty damn cool). Do I think some sounds could have been done differently, Sure. But overall I feel that the sounds do the job that they are supposed to do, which is to increase overall immersion and fun with the game.

Madmatt