US Flag Accuracy

Neskire

Hi,

The screenshots for the game look fantastic. However, I noticed in a couple of shots showing units and individuals that ther is a subdued American flag behind the portraits that bears 50 stars instead of 48. I can tell by the staggered arrangement that our current flag has, instead of a straight 6x8 star pattern from the war.

I know this is a minor point, but it does contribute to historical accuracy. I hope that the designers will use the older Canadian flag for this game as well, instead of the current maple leaf design which was introduced in 1965.

As to not using swatikas in the game, I think that Battlefront is wise not to include them in the game if they plan to sell it in Germany where it is banned for many uses. It is unfortunate that this ancient symbol became one of terror and death, instead of good luck (as it is in seveeral cultures). Carlsberg brewery in Denmark used it before Hitler came to power and has it in the tilework on the floor entrance to their museum (where it is always covered up with mats). To those who would say that this is political correctness gone too far, I would say that you most likely do not have relatives who died in Buchenwald or Auschwitz. It is good to teach about history, but we should refrain from glorifying its more detestable aspects. Perhaps in another 100 years we will have lost some of the immediate impact and treat this era with the same indifference we treat symbols from the times of the Roman Empire (which was also famous for its cruelty). Until then, respect the memories of those who are no longer with us. (Besides, someone will most likely make a mod to put swastikas in if you really want them.)

Just my 2 cents...

On the whole Roger I agree with you about the flag issue, but I have always wondered why the Japanese Rising Sun flag has always been included in many games. One could say for the sake of argument that a lot of relatives died horrible deaths in POW camps (American-British-Chineese-Korean-Aussies-Dutch & Kiwis)as well as medical experiments. There is a lot of bad stuff that the Japanese did that is still unkown to the general public. I'm a former History teacher and I usually say that everything should be authentic because it needs to be talked about more in schools. It's a good stimulant for debate and as far as PC is concerned you know where I think that crap should go!!!

unless the use of the rising sun is also banned in computer games then you are being a complete hypocrit and a politically correct sycophant.

Are you even slightly aware of the Nanjing massacre in which 10's of thousands of men, women and children were brutally massacred. Not to mention the long list of other Japanese attrocities committed during WW2 including experimental death camps.

Why is it OK to protect Jewish sensibilities but not Chinese ???

History is either preserved or distorted. I prefer historical accuracy over the watered down version.

Originally posted by franz:

unless the use of the rising sun is also banned in computer games then you are being a complete hypocrit and a politically correct sycophant.

Are you even slightly aware of the Nanjing massacre in which 10's of thousands of men, women and children were brutally massacred. Not to mention the long list of other Japanese attrocities committed during WW2 including experimental death camps.

Why is it OK to protect Jewish sensibilities but not Chinese ???

History is either preserved or distorted. I prefer historical accuracy over the watered down version.

Yes, that is true. I only emphasized the swastika as it is banned in Germany and that I believe it wise to follow their local laws in regard to this. I am not aware if the rising sun flag is still in use in Japan.

If all things were equal, then I say leave all original icons, flags and the like in place as historically accurate. But, if local laws state otherwise, then respect those laws until they are changed. If one is still offended, the don't buy the game. I find certain films offensive and I vote with my wallet and do not buy the DVD or movie ticket.

This is about respect more so that being PC. The reason people try to be PC is just because of such atrocities. One cannot be aware of ALL acts of brutality everywhere and at all times. But one can respect another's feelings about it when it has been given attention.

I usually notice stuff like that but for some reason I hadn't noticed that 50 star US flag until now. I will see if we can get it fixed but there are other larger issues that are a little more important to get done at the moment. ;)

Madmatt

Originally posted by Prince of Eckmühl:

While we're busy fixing flags, how about putting away that nasty old "hammer and sickle." The Russians were so ashamed of it, that they got rid of it. So, why's it still adorning BF games?

PoE

Yes, but did they pass a law against it being displayed in public or on toys and games as they did in Germany for the swastika. I only support removing swastikas from TOW if this will help their sales in Germany. Only because their LAW forbids it. Don't argue with me about whether this is "politically correct"; argue with the German government.

i dont really believe that russia is "ashamed" of the old flag or even the old regime. if you look at russias evening program on tv, theres a new show which is about josef stalins private life and (i didnt see it i just saw it in local tv news) he gets displayed as a nice, correct family father and brave hero of motherland russia.

if you imagine what would happen if there would be a show on german tv called "our lovely fuhrer" you may get an idea of what a HUGE difference exists in different cultures.

germany is ashamed of what happened 65 years ago, russia seems to be proud of it.

"I humbly kneel in remembrance of the power and the glory that was the rule of Napoleon!"

lol napoleon was a complete idiot on the battlefield and full megalomaniac and extreme coward scared ****less for his worthless life he got what he deserves afterall. Kutuzov showed him whole spectrum of russian soul :D

and how about putting away those nasty other worthless armies like France and others - they never fought - they surrender within few weeks - how about releasing TOW without other army then SOVIET and GERMAN... after all its we soviets who made this game and unlike other biased morons include most of the sides of the ww2 conflict - well too bad - theres still people that wont respect that. Next time we take that in consideration.

as for hummer and sickle emblem it was NEVER baned get your facts straight you cretins - even Russian airline Airoflot still using emblem on its planes. Think before you talk next time.

btw apologizing if i offended anyones national feelings -

[ March 04, 2007, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: unsobill ]

Originally posted by unsobill:

and how about putting away those nasty other worthless armies like France and others - they never fought - they surrender within few weeks - how about releasing TOW without other army then SOVIET and GERMAN... after all its we soviets who made this game and unlike other biased morons include most of the sides of the ww2 conflict - well too bad - theres still people that wont respect that. Next time we take that in consideration.

as for hummer and sickle emblem it was NEVER baned get your facts straight you cretins - even Russian airline Airoflot still using emblem on its planes. Think before you talk next time.

btw apologizing if i offended anyones national feelings -

Ok, lets keep the tone civil here and stop name calling. State your opinion and facts clearly without rancor. We are all friends here and are eagerly wanting to play this game (ToW). smile.gif

As to the French, they capitulated because they were overwhelmed by the German army and saw that it was pointless to try to stop the juggenaut. Remember, the British fled via Dunkirk for the same reasons. And the US did not attack Japan immediately after Pearl Harbor as well because it was recovering from a devastating blow. The bombing of Japan by Doolittle's planes waas an attempt to show that the US could still strike back, even if only in a minor way. France did not have that option and had to rally outside of France and wait for the invasion in 1944. So often I hear Americans put down France without realizing that France was a pivotal force to help create the US during the American Revolution. Many of us tend to fall back on stereotypes and not look at the total scope of history.

Suffice it to say, all sides in the conflict had their good points as well as their bad. I like the saying that goes, "if you point a finger at someone, there are usually 3 pointing back at you".

as for hummer and sickle emblem it was NEVER baned

Ah, yes, Stalin's heirs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Putin

No Hollywood docudramas about that guy. No Michael Moore vision of evil. And the Russians WERE ashamed of Stalin and that flag. I've talked FTF to too many ex-pats to believe otherwise. And the only reason that its not banned for uses in games is because...well, in the West...commies can get away with anything.

PoE

what are you talking about you? i'm russian myself - you telling me that russian were ashamed of the flag and baned it ? and you not even russian - you dont even know what Russia is or where Russia is? WHO/WHEN/WHY did the flag ban happend ? did you seen it in one of your dreams and forgot that it was a dream ? maybe you just eat way too many hallucinogen frogs... where did you get your ideas from ? maybe you should stop living in your fantasy world and get your facts together.

p.s

afterall reading your reply i realize that you nothing more then ignorant stereotypical troll - i let you breath.

[ March 04, 2007, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: unsobill ]

quote:

as for hummer and sickle emblem it was NEVER baned

Ah, yes, Stalin's heirs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Putin

No Hollywood docudramas about that guy. No Michael Moore vision of evil. And the Russians WERE ashamed of Stalin and that flag. I've talked FTF to too many ex-pats to believe otherwise. And the only reason that its not banned for uses in games is because...well, in the West...commies can get away with anything.

PoE

what are you talking about you? i'm russian myself - you telling me that russian were ashamed of the flag and baned it ? and you not even russian - you dont even know what Russia is or where Russia is? WHO/WHEN/WHY did the flag ban happend ? did you seen it in one of your dreams and forgot that it was a dream ? maybe you just eat way too many hallucinogen frogs... where did you get your ideas from ? maybe you should stop living in your fantasy world and get your facts together.

p.s

afterall reading your reply i realize that you nothing more then ignorant stereotypical troll - i let you breath.

Gentlemen, gentelmen. Please stop with this unsavory name calling. These posts are moderated and you risk getting in trouble. Keep it civil. smile.gif

And please do not cite Wikipedia. It is a source that is easily edited by anyone and is therefore not to be trusted for accuracy. An educator once said, "The internet is not the holy cow of information and its milk is often not pure". ;)

PS- Don't feed the trolls.

Okay,the main point of this topic has been addressed and since it seems to be going downhill, its time to lock it up.

I will mention the wrong flag to the development team. I can't say for sure if it will get fixed or not but they will be told about it.

Madmatt