Sounds for tank guns

• 2 weeks later...

I am after some 'high velocity' main gun sounds. After watching a load of actual combat footage of WW2 tanks in action, most of the guns had a kind of 'pis-ch-uuw' sound which really sounded, well ,'high velocity' ! ;) rather than the 'krump' sound of CMBO & CMBB. I think there used to be a gun sound like that in East Front2.

Any ideas if someone has produced a soundmod like that yet?

Originally posted by JaegerMeister:

I am after some 'high velocity' main gun sounds. After watching a load of actual combat footage of WW2 tanks in action, most of the guns had a kind of 'pis-ch-uuw' sound which really sounded, well ,'high velocity' ! ;) rather than the 'krump' sound of CMBO & CMBB. I think there used to be a gun sound like that in East Front2.

Any ideas if someone has produced a soundmod like that yet?

You should keep in mind that the battle sounds on most of those documentary films are not original - a lot is added or modified post-production.

A lot of the real battle footage from WWII was shot entirely without sound. The footage that was shot with sound was generally shot with relatively low quality microphones, and frankly sound like crap.

Modern documentary producers, like the History Channel, etc., regularly go back and 'improve' documentary footage by editing in 'better' sound, either by filtering the existing sound track, or sometimes even by looping in new sounds entirely. This is true even for a lot of more modern footage from the Gulf War & c. Even today's high-quality microphones have a very hard time accurately recording high-decibel, point source events like gun reports.

In fact, especially with supersonic projectiles, the sound of the gun report actually varies considerably depending on where you are relative to the gun - it sounds radically different from directly behind the gun than it does from the side or in front of the gun because you hear the sound of the gases escaping the muzzle and the sound of the projectile breaking the sound barrier and traveling through the air at different times relative to each other.

This doesn't mean I'm against modding in sounds. Hey, it's a game, and if you don't like the way it sounds, but all means change it. I changed the incoming artillery sounds in my CMBO to the falling anvil sound from Looney Tunes once just because I thought it was funny.

Just be careful of assuming that what you hear in documentaries is the real McCoy.

Cheers,

YD