Persistent Player versus "Player Vehicle"

Hawkslayer

I'd be interested in seeing a persistent player for vehicles that could jump out of dying vehicles and retreat on foot, or simply jump out to do a little low profile scouting.

This would be different than an infantry unit, with jump jets and heavy armament.. but rather a "pilot" model armed with only a sidearm for light protection against other soft targets. Maybe give the player binoculars also for a little scouting ability.

I realize this is very "Battlefield 1942-ish" which I'm sure some loathe, but it does add a nice element that is realistic in many respects.

This could be used for things like jumping in another's vehicle to team up, sneak into towers or other places for visibility support, etc. If you're about to die in a difficult place to return to, it makes more sense to bail out and jump in a friendly vehicle for improved focus versus waiting to start again.

Naturally you would drop with a vehicle, and abandoned vehicles would need to be addressed (do they get pulled back up with a DS, or simply stay there until they're killed/stolen?)

I guess implementing this kind of feature really depends on if this game is really a tank game, or a futuristic combat game that has realistic damage modeling. I personally would love to see it evolve a bit more into a game with added diversity in unit capability, while retaining it's focus on realistic tactics and strategy.

Has this idea been considered before? I'd love to hear what people are thinking about it, and if it was dismissed, why that was.