comparative afv sizes

adzling

Hey i managed to get some of the drop team files imported into sketchup via blender.

(import to blender from .cob files export to .3ds format and import into sketchup).

Note: the files come into sketchup tiny so using the dimensions Clay gave me i scaled them...seems like the appropriate scale is 38.99 times (39x seems close enough).

although this is not confirmed yet so it could be off by a little bit...

You'll notice how dang large those paladin afv's are....

+ you notice how small those vehicle's i've been working on are compared to the apollo (a "light tank").

I'm going to adjust their scale to fall between the apollo and thor, check the tank destroyer thread for the latest...

comparative_afv_sizes1.png

comparative_afv_sizes2.png

One thing that strikes me is how massive the Paladin's wheels are. I wonder if there is any way to make a multi wheeled vehicle, say with 6 or 8 wheels (like a LAV). If it were as wide as the Paladin it would be just as stable, maybe a bit slower but tire damage wouldn't be as effective.

If I knew anything about 3-d modelling I would be dabbling with this myself. Sorry I can't contribute anything other than ideas.

hey konstatine check the light tank thread

If you want to deal with bringing it in-game I can provide the 6 wheeled variant for you to play with.

this image better shows the comparative sizes of the afv's....look how big that freakin' paladin is!

I think i may have gotten the scale a little wrong.....can anyone confirm/ deny this?

I guess it's carrying 6 inf so that makes some sense.

look at how nice it looks with 6 wheels tho ;)

comparative_afv_sizes5.png

Man, no wonder I have trouble staying hull-down in a Paladin compared to my favoured Apollo. That front lip on the area of the body in front of the turret just adds immense space.

I'd love to have a rebuilt-version of the Paladin some day, one which doesn't make a BRDM look like a low-profile vehicle, maybe. smile.gif

Hey, Clay ... this line-up gives me an idea.

Any way you could create a nice high-res wallpaper with the vehicles lined up side-by side, both teams, alternating camo patterns between Blood and Water between ranks? Or just one wall for each lineup?

Yes, I love the arctic camo patterns. I realize this makes me a loon.

adzling,

Lined up beside the others your 2 new AFV's look very impressive indeed. The 6 wheeled Paladin is an improvement too. Well done.

Think of the delicious irony the first time you are killed by one of your own creations. I imagine you'll feel a mix of chagrin and pride...

Originally posted by adzling:

hey konstatine check the light tank thread

If you want to deal with bringing it in-game I can provide the 6 wheeled variant for you to play with.

this image better shows the comparative sizes of the afv's....look how big that freakin' paladin is!

I think i may have gotten the scale a little wrong.....can anyone confirm/ deny this?

I guess it's carrying 6 inf so that makes some sense.

look at how nice it looks with 6 wheels tho ;)

Yeah, I put some ideas in that thread too. smile.gif

How can I play with the 6-wheel? I haven't imported new vehicles into the game before. Or are you talking about looking at the 3-d model...?

p.s. Squidlord--the ice camo is my favorite too. ;)