connection problems

last days i played a very long game with hellraiser. he has the english version of patch 1.04, i have the german. in that game we had no problems.

today we tried to start a new one - and can't connect. if he hosted my programm always crashed while connecting, if i hosted game crashed after his first turn.

his error folder was clean, in my was the following message:

[09/26/2006 6:46:17; 5.1.2600; 1024x768x32(1); v1.04] FAILED(network_client_dialog: on_paint): Segmentation violation

any idea what was wrong?

(we didn't change our computer-systems after our successful game)

@Pfeiffer:

The second error where you hosted could be in deed a conflict between german and english version - noticed it also sometimes in TCP and now in PBEM. Sent Hubert already some of the files smile.gif .

But so far I experienced the segmentation violation errors only when the player with the german version played Axis and tried to host in TCP or to start a PBEM game as Axis player.

As allied player/ loading turns from the english version seems to work.

So Hellraiser hosting should work since he has the english version and according to your description in fact didn´t lead to a segmentation error. No connection is more probably because of a firewall or router and perhaps there was a change or it was a temporary problem with the provider - can also happen sometimes. If a connection can´t be established, using Hamatchi is a good alternative ( see here ).

Got a response from Hubert - at least for PBEM this error is because the one where it crashes has older pre-V1.04 campaigns in his campaign folder. If you delete them it works and for V1.05 this error will be corrected.

Could be for TCP a similar thing, maybe one of you downloaded a user made scenario from an older version that now causes the crashs. So check your campaign folder for older and incompatible campaigns and remove them.