Best current Mac Card? (10/05)

Just trying to get all the scattered discussion about this into one place. What we (or at least I) know so far...

-The Radeon 7000 @ 32 meg is not enough HP for full out BB. Are there other considerations besides VRam w/ this Card? It does do alot for the $, including allowing second Card & Monitor, which is GREAT for Modding.

-The 8500 @ 64meg has Smoke & (?)Fog problems which don't seem like they will be fixed soon.

Please correct/add to the above where I may be mistaken.Also can anyone elaborate on...

-PCI/AGP

-FSAA/AA/Vectorizationeramajama type stuff you see in DarkSide threads, & how this stuff pertains to we, the Blessed.

Strt

(spelink)

[ October 04, 2002, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: mchlstrt ]

On the Radeon 8500 topic, I have a query in to ATI. I also pinged Mike Breedon of xlr8yourmac.com, who said he was writing his ATI contact (their 3d programmer) on the issue.

Fog works fine on the (mac) 8500; it's smoke transparency (including smoke shells, smoke from fires, explosions and gun blasts) that doesn't work.

I'm a total CM noob, finally have a machine that can run the graphics. Said machine is a Dual 867, which I ordered with the Radeon 9000.

Overall, I love this machine. I've never seen CM run on anything else, so it is hard to judge the graphics performance. However, from what I've caught of these threads, I get the idea smoke should have some transparency effect, and I'm definitely not seeing that. I think I need to fire up a 'fog' quickbattle just to see what it looks like. I play booted into 9.2.2, that came stock on the machine, I haven't tweaked a thing in drivers/etc. I do run two monitors.

In any case, I'm glad folks are looking into the ATI issues, and will keep my eyes on these threads for any results.

Oops, just got my very first pbem turn in the mail, gotta run.