Off topic computer help

Hi:

I'm hoping one of you can help me. I went to a website that installed some kind of screen on my computer so my desktop had this blue "screen of death" with a link embedded in it telling me to click there to fix the problem or something. Anyway, while all this was happening my anti-virus stuff kicked in and so I shut down.

Obviously the screen was a scam.

But it wouldn't go away when I rebooted the computer. So I did a little investigation and found the file, and deleted it. It was called "hpwarn". Now my desktop is white. I can tell that the wallpaper is still there when I shut down, because it blinks momentarily and I see it.

I can't include the code that is revealed when I ask to view the source of the white screen because the forum won't let me . . .

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Also, when I switch users, the problem goes away.

I can't change the wallpaper - this is an HTML file that installs on TOP of the wallpaper. WHere do I go to get rid of this?

HELP PLEASE ! ! !

I am currently assisting a friend who has that exact same problem. I did the same thing as you; deleted the "hpwarn" file, with exactly the same problem: desktop is white. The wallpaper briefly shows up as the system boots, then the desktop turns white.

I am a student at a computer school. I'll run this by one of my instructors to see what he says. I've tried everything I know so far, to no avail. I'm beginning to suspect that I may have to reinstall Windows, but that will be a last ditch attempt.

Here's an idea you might try: Back up all of your personal files in another folder, then delete your user account, then add a new user account for yourself and see if it eliminates the white screen. If you try this and it works, please let me know. I haven't tried this yet because my friend lives out of town and I won't be able to try this on his computer for a while.