What could have done this to a Panther?

Originally posted by JasonC:

Over 1000 M36s were fielded. They were the most common vehicle type in TD battalions by the time of the Bulge, equipping 21 out of 52 TD battalions in the ETO at that date. 10 had M18 and 10 had M10, 11 were towed.

Cool. Thanks very much for the info. If I had known that, I would have used them in some of my BO QBs.

I am assuming that these figures are all in the ETO. Do you have comparable numbers for Italy?

Michael

Yes ETO. In the Med the fighting started earlier so it was mostly M10s. And it was a low priority for the improved types, so it appears to have stayed that way.

I have Torch and Tunisia (early) - M3 halftracks with 75mm - 3 battalions. Tunisia (later, 1943) 4 M10 battalions (in addition). Sicily - M10s 2 battalions. Italy - M10s 6 battalions, towed 76mm 2 battalions.

Several units that fought in the Med early on with M10s upgraded to M36s or M18s when they transfered to the ETO, but don't seem to have had the better equipment while in Italy.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

Stone the crows, rexford strikes again!

I'm presuming that you have book/reports on this, so i'll ask a few questions.

Was it engaging on the flat (full slope on the Panther) or from an elevation?

What happened to the mantlet? It looks extensively damaged

The 90mm guns were firing downward on the Panther, although I don't remember the angle.

At close range, 90mm T33 APBC (a modified version of 90mm M77 AP with a harder nose and a windscreen) could penetrate the Panther glacis on level ground beyond 1000 meters.

90mm M77 AP could penetrate the Panther glacis on level ground at close range, too.

90mm APCBC wouldn't be expected to penetrate the Panther glacis very much at any range unless the armor was very poor and there was a considerable downward angle to the shot.

I do not remember if the firing tests included 90mm HVAP ammo.

Robert Livingston has our copy of the full report with pictures, I can ask him for more details if you are interested.

Originally posted by JasonC:

Yes ETO. In the Med the fighting started earlier so it was mostly M10s. And it was a low priority for the improved types, so it appears to have stayed that way.

I have Torch and Tunisia (early) - M3 halftracks with 75mm - 3 battalions. Tunisia (later, 1943) 4 M10 battalions (in addition). Sicily - M10s 2 battalions. Italy - M10s 6 battalions, towed 76mm 2 battalions.

Several units that fought in the Med early on with M10s upgraded to M36s or M18s when they transfered to the ETO, but don't seem to have had the better equipment while in Italy.

You are correct that the M36 was not used in Italy, and that one battalion so equipped shipped immediately to the ETO. The M18 (T70) received its first combat testing at Anzio. The 805th TD Bn used M18s in Italy beginning June 1944. The two TD battalions associated with Sicily did not fight there--they supplied a few troops for guarding prisoners and other non-combat functions. Cheers.

[ October 25, 2003, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Harry Yeide ]