ATI Rage 128 Fog issue

I can't find any info on this one, and maybe it's a dumb question...

On the maps with thick fog listed as the weather, should I actually see fog? I ask because I can see rain on rainy maps, but there's no difference between fog maps and good weather maps.

I also can't see the new explosions for some reason(I did put all the patch files in the correct places).

System: AMDk6 450mhz, 128mb, ATI Xpert 2000.

I downloaded the most current drivers for my video card, and they didn't do anything except screw up all the tree, ground, house, and sky textures(making the game unplayable), so I downloaded the other drivers I found at the site(which are unsupported special use drivers for opengl, I believe). Now I can see things normally, but no fog or explosions that are any different from the demo.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Oh, and yes I have the game set to full weather and smoke effects(in fact, I've tried just about every possible setting in the game, plus ran in different resolutions).

[This message has been edited by Pham911 (edited 06-22-2000).]

Ok, I fixed the lack of new explosions problem(didn't copy the new executable for some reason), can see all weather effects I think(snow rain), but still no fog. Is the ATI Rage 128 unable to show fog, or is there hope for me yet?

[This message has been edited by Pham911 (edited 06-23-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

I'm unsure of whether the ATI Xpert 2000 can show fog, but the first thing to check is the card's control panel if there is one. There might be an option there that needs tweaking (like fog table emulation). Or perhaps look at the DirectX/Direct3D control panel.

Charles

Hi,

Appreciate the quick reply. Unfortunatly, neither the Directx control panel(which I assume is the one that comes with the SDK kit) doesn't show any options that help.

Neither do the advanced controls for the display properties. It's very frustrating to try to play foggy levels with no fog diplayed, as it just appears that my LOS cuts off for no reason, and unidentified tanks and such pop up twenty feet from my men when it looks like I have a clear view of the terrain.

Oh, also, when playing Shogun: Total War I get excellent fog effects, which are what I assume I should be seeing in CM but can't.

Sigh...

Any other advice would be appreciated, and if anyone has a Rage 128 card if they could post if they get fog or not that would help too. I have done(literally) hours of searching for this one Deja.com, here, Ati's site, MS's site, etc, and all I've found is that the card displays fog in Mechwarrior 2, and in a some other games. Plus the shogun thing that I found out myself. So, why, oh why, can't I get fog in CM?

BTW, is CM Direct3d or OpenGl?

I have a Diamond Stealth III 16mb card and I also don't see Fog like I've seen in some of the screen shots. It's slightly dimmer, not just like a regular day, but I can easily see all over the map. I've double checked all the in-game settings. Its dissapointing because it's one of my favorite effects.

Guest Big Time Software

Pham,

It's probably an issue with your ATI card then. There are two different ways to do fog in Direct3D. We chose the older, more widely compatible method. It's possible that your ATI only supports the newer method.

Charles

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pham911:

I can't find any info on this one, and maybe it's a dumb question...

On the maps with thick fog listed as the weather, should I actually see fog? I ask because I can see rain on rainy maps, but there's no difference between fog maps and good weather maps.

I also can't see the new explosions for some reason(I did put all the patch files in the correct places).

System: AMDk6 450mhz, 128mb, ATI Xpert 2000.

I downloaded the most current drivers for my video card, and they didn't do anything except screw up all the tree, ground, house, and sky textures(making the game unplayable), so I downloaded the other drivers I found at the site(which are unsupported special use drivers for opengl, I believe). Now I can see things normally, but no fog or explosions that are any different from the demo.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Oh, and yes I have the game set to full weather and smoke effects(in fact, I've tried just about every possible setting in the game, plus ran in different resolutions).

[This message has been edited by Pham911 (edited 06-22-2000).]

Ok, I fixed the lack of new explosions problem(didn't copy the new executable for some reason), can see all weather effects I think(snow rain), but still no fog. Is the ATI Rage 128 unable to show fog, or is there hope for me yet?

[This message has been edited by Pham911 (edited 06-23-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pham911,

I have almost exactly the same set up as you do from processor to the ATI 128 Expert 2000. I cannot see fog, either. I suspect it is a ATI chipset issue because I can similarly not get fog effects on a Rage Pro Turbo or Rage Fury.

This may be completely coincidental, but I have had interesting experiences with fog-like layers in several games ranging from Jane's WWII Fighters to Everquest. It seems that ATI does its fog / sky / highlighting (particuarly when it's white / translucent)differently than most.

I have been able to overcome all of these issues with various ATI drivers. In some cases the newests drivers work, in some cases I've had to go back several versions. While I have not tried this with the ATI 128 yet, I hypothesize that an older driver for the ATI might fix the fog problem. I have not pursued that option yet, as I have established a new front on a Voodoo3. ATI has recently reorganized their site and made it impossible to download anything other than the current drivers (as far as I can tell). You may need to contact their technical support department to get older downloads. Good luck, if you happen to find success I'd be interested to hear how.

I hope this was helpful.

I have an ATI 128 Rage and also cannot see fog, nor does there seem to be any fog emulation table enabler.

I have also started having lockup problems which may or may not be related to the ATI card.

Looks like I'll be buying a new video card!

JB

• 2 weeks later...

same problem for me. i have an old ATI Rage Pro card and do not see fog unfortunately. tried all available drivers, but no effect. can anyone send me a pic of a foggy landscape (birdsview (not gods), thick and light fog)?

Thanks

------------------

Ron

No pain, no game!