Macintosh Issues... HELP!

I installed the largest install on a

G4 500mhz

384 MB ram

MS Intellimouse Explorer USB

(need any other info?)

i have 100,000k allocated to the memory for the application

After a super skippy, audioless movie, the game takes a good 4-5 minutes to start up. And another 4-5 for the "3-D Graphics" (flag screen) and when it does none of the HUD buttons work (right, left, up, down, Hotkeys, Go, etc...). I can move around using the mouse, and select units. But can't "GO". Anyone else?

That's a new one. Works great on my G3/300, usually only allocate 80 MB RAM

Do you have a lot of other applications already running and are you using virtual memory? I could imagine this happening if something is causing a lot of disk swaps. There have also been some notes that with the G4 some (all?) people have to turn off the L2 cache. Works fine with the cache on with the G3.

Try turning off the movie (hold down shift during launch) and see if that cures the problems with the game.

Also - Charles has noted that OS9 does weird things. If you do a search for "OS 9" or something like that, there might be some details.

Guest Big Time Software

Hi Section8,

I use a G4/400 with no problems. The two differences between my system and yours is that I use 8.6 and a Kensington Orbit USB device (which sucks BTW smile.gif). My guess is that this is some funky OS 9.x problem.

My only suggestion is to play the Extensions game (i.e. disabling stuff) and perahps turn off Virtual Memory.

Charles was having so many problems with 9.x and all sorts of software (including CM) that he downgraded to 8.6. I don't think he has ever done such a thing before in his 7 years of Mac programming. And I know that in my 13 years of Mac usage I have never purposefully avoided upgrading to a major system upgrade after a few bug fix patches were released. Yet here I sit with 8.6 after never having upgraded and then downgraded smile.gif

Steve

Guest MajorH

I don't have any trouble running CM on a G3 with OS9.0.4 but try the following ...

Make sure your caps lock key is not engaged before running CM.

If you are running at millions of colors try going down to thousands before running CM.

Delete or hide the opening movie file.

Look for conflicting INITS and EXTENSIONS.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com