Plausible Blue vs. Blue background for scenario campaign?

Originally posted by gibsonm:

Mate,

If all they have seen of California is the NTC (like I have), I think they’d leave. smile.gif

Dude, you're not kidding either. In 2004-05, the NG BCT my team was attached to also had the 2-11th ACR attached, they're the ones who play OPFOR at NTC. That was, without a doubt, the most jacked up unit I have ever seen. Their CSM was this...sociopath who had an Iraqi wife (and an American one back home). He routinely stole gatorade from the DFAC and gave it to them so they could sell it in their shop, I'm talking gatorade bottles with NSN numbers. Craziness. Their junior officers were worst than your average sterotypical junior field officer (but not worse than support officers!) Most of the NCO's I met were whiners (I was an E-3/E-4 at the time and that was very impressionable on me). Their TACSOP was plain stupid and obviously something they used in garrison.

Overall, I gave them a D- in terms of tactical efficiency. Junior enlisted, and some junior NCOs weren't bad..but jeez..that was one crippled unit.

Originally posted by John Kettler:

YankeeDog,

It's the considered opinion of many observers that the U.S., in its present form, is unsustainable and is therefore likely to devolve into more intimate, better governed, regions with common interests. That alone could create Blue on Blue action, especially if one or more regions get so fed up they secede.

Are you aware that Texas explicitly reserved to itself that right when it joined the U.S.? Don't mess with Texas! California, screwed year after year by the federal government through being forced to pay for the former's huge unfunded mandates and immigration policies by itself has an economy and industrial base bigger than most countries, not to mention enormous military power, to include amphibious warfare capabilities.

Mind, I certainly don't want war here, but the potential's definitely there for civil war. Believe we had one before! Also, we've got people actively looking to create a race war. Manson tried, but there's also a flock of neo-Nazi groups

and White Supremacists who'd welcome a chance to "shoot 'cans." Africans. Mexicans. Puerto Ricans.

Personally, I find the parallels between this country and Late Imperial Rome quite disturbing, but they offer all sorts of interesting gaming possibilities.

Regards,

John Kettler

The future is an ephemeral thing. . . a decade or two down the road, who knows? I'm skeptical, but perhaps your scenario is a possiblity if things really go down the crapper.

But CMSF is 2008, not 2028. By the time things degrade to civil war, the equipment and TOE of the US Army (or whatever the fighting entities involved in such a war come to be called) will look very different.

For example, maybe M1 Abrams will still be around, but it won't be the M1A2 variety, but some souped-up, enhanced version with more advanced sensors, probably reactive armor, active defense, etc. . .

So I stand by my orginal assertion: Any scenario that pits current-tech M1s and Strykers against each other is fantastical. Get over it. Enjoy the fantasy.

Cheers,

YD

Originally posted by Clavicula_Nox:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by gibsonm:

Mate,

If all they have seen of California is the NTC (like I have), I think they’d leave. smile.gif

Dude, you're not kidding either. In 2004-05, the NG BCT my team was attached to also had the 2-11th ACR attached, they're the ones who play OPFOR at NTC. That was, without a doubt, the most jacked up unit I have ever seen. Their CSM was this...sociopath who had an Iraqi wife (and an American one back home). He routinely stole gatorade from the DFAC and gave it to them so they could sell it in their shop, I'm talking gatorade bottles with NSN numbers. Craziness. Their junior officers were worst than your average sterotypical junior field officer (but not worse than support officers!) Most of the NCO's I met were whiners (I was an E-3/E-4 at the time and that was very impressionable on me). Their TACSOP was plain stupid and obviously something they used in garrison.

Overall, I gave them a D- in terms of tactical efficiency. Junior enlisted, and some junior NCOs weren't bad..but jeez..that was one crippled unit. </font>

Wow..I'm really sorry and feel like I must apologize on their behalf. Things might not always be done right here, but in the Airborne, there is a huge emphasis on first impressions, particularly with those outside of the US Army. A large number of us here on Bragg have jumped with paratroopers from other nations (Fallschirmjaeger, myself) and we have built up healthy working relationships with other militaries.

I'm sorry those clowns from the 11th ACR gave you a bad impression.

Originally posted by YankeeDog:

So I stand by my orginal assertion: Any scenario that pits current-tech M1s and Strykers against each other is fantastical. Get over it. Enjoy the fantasy.

Cheers,

YD

Well then fantastical it is :D US-led invasion of Syria in 2008 is just as fantastic and as deep into a fantasy realm, and the fans enjoy the fantasy. A lot :D

Originally posted by gibsonm:

Don’t worry I had a chat to CO 3 ACR about it (late in the Mess one night) and he explained they were “special”.

3rd ACR isn't bad, there was an element from them that I am unsure of it's size apart of our BCT. They have a good reputation amongst some soldiers I know who were alongside them.

*edit*

I mean they're not bad for legs, of course. ;)

[ March 25, 2008, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: Clavicula_Nox ]