Question about Skill settings and C&C

I guess I don't fully understand the Command & Control handling and the influence of the skill settings on it:

Veteran: all friendly units are always visible. As it seems, this also means that all friendly units are always in C2? The unit info always shows at least distant visiual contact, even if it is defently not the case. This doesn't make much sense for the Syrian Army; at least the manual has described in detail how poor the Syrian C2 qualities are.

- Friendly units need to be spotted just like enemy units. If you have a friendly unit not in line of sight or contact with another friendly unit, then the only way to find this unit is by either re-establishing contact with another of your units or by clicking through the chain of command in the game interface, jumping from unit to unit.
Elite: C2 seems correctly modeled here. However, as long as no unit is selected, I can still see all friendly units on the battlefield, and I can still give orders to all units without delay. I do understand that each unit is able to operate independently to some degree, but it seem to me that the system is different from what is written in the manual, or I'm missunderstanding. If a friendly unit is out of view, you may still be able to hold contact with a dispatcher, but this would mean a command delay that doesn't exist. If a unit is out of C2 and out of contact to another friendly unit which is in C2, it's status and position should be completly unknown, and I shouldn't be able to give orders to it. At least I understood the manual that way. If a unit is spotted first time, or has been lost out of the eye for some time, it should be even unknown if the unit is friend or foe until it is clearly identified. What leads to the next logical thing: that I order friendly fire when I order to fire on an unidentified contact (which I should be able to).

Can somebody explain, please?

Bump!

Hi Scipio,

RE: elite. I have noticed that out of LOS infantry falls from C2 when they are advancing and that I cannot give commands to them until C2 is restored some time later.

The thing that I wonder is if a friendly unit out of C2 having known status and position to the player (just by clicking in the map)is an intended feature or a bug?

interesting topic.

I don't see anything in the manual about not being able to give orders to C2-less units, or delay.

Basically, the manual says that an out of C2 unit won't recieve or give relative spotting info, and given troop quality, has an increased chance of going shaky and orders freezing.

I think you might be mixing the concepts of C2 and relative spotting. Elite difficulty applies relative spotting to friendly and enemy forces.

c2 does work within the context of relative spotting in terms of sending contact info down through the units in contact, but dosen't dictate what units are under player control.

I don't think a system like that would work..Try it out in a game (don't click on any unit unless you can see it after starting the clock on the command unit) and you'll see why that system just wouldn't work...

A command delay, now, wouldn't be a bad thing, but I suppose the increased risk of going shaky

makes up for that?

[ August 03, 2007, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: ARRPEEGEE ]

Tricky. It's be unrealistic to apply strict hierarchical C2 requirements for giving orders, I think, unless you

(a) had a smart enough TacAI to handle the results in a reasonable fashion (so they'd do *something* reasonable, even if it's not quite what you intended) and

(B) had a way to denote your long-term objectives so the cut-off units had some sense of what you intended for them even if they have to improvise,

Hypothetically speaking, if you were in command of a large force of T-72s and were planning to split it into two groups, you'd probably want to put the other half in the hands of somebody who at least understood the overall mission objective and wouldn't simply go into stationary force-preservation mode the moment you were too busy to radio in the next set of orders.

It -would- make some sense to have restrictions for a co-op game with players controlling particular formations (and restricting in-game messenging), but I haven't seen any mention or indication of this being a co-op MP game.