W87, JS 9mm & Type 99.

Came across these when looking at Chinese weapons as part of my interest (Ok, fixation) on US V China.

w87

9mm JS

Type 99

What struck me about these is there suitability for MOUT.

The W87 is claimed elsewhere by the chinese to be effective against low flying aircraft, and although it would be pretty difficult to use in such a way, if it does have a round that can penetrate 80mm of armour, then a single round could make a mess of most helicopters.

In addition if you let of a 9 round burst against the side of a Stryker, I am not sure if you wouldn't get penetration, and I don't know how effective the cage armour would be.

In addition there is the 10m (Chinese claim up to 20m+) frag radius. Even if the missed the Stryker if it hit a wall across the street it could still injure troops, especially if they were using the vehicle for cover.

It doesn't have the suppression capabilities due to it's small mag, but for insurgents using hit and run and ambush tactics where they want to "Empty and Evade", then it looks useful to me.

The JS 9mm seems another one ideally suited to insurgency. It's small, light, reliable and being Chinese probably, if not cheap then at least, fairly affordable. Add to that the fact that it is silenced and has little or no muzzle flash and again you have a weapon that you can conceal, use quickly, and then disengage before the enemy brings superior firepower to bare.

The Type 99 is one of many 12.7mm snipers rifles on the market, and I believe, tough I don't know what it is called, that the Russians have a silenced one. It's fairly obvious how this would be an effective weapon for insurgents.

Peter.