squads, teams, and targeting

Question for BFC, following along the lines of the old "squad footprint" discussion...

In CMx2, now that squads are divided into "teams", I'm wondering:

1) Does each team in a squad have a distinct location (and footprint)? e.g., will there be times when my "assault" team is physically in a house, while the "support" team is still outside? and things like that?

2) It would seem the point of coding the game this way would be to reduce abstraction in squad tactics... So can each team in a squad be indepentently targeting different enemy units (under TacAI of course)? Also, does 1:1 go so far that my US SAW man will specifically target the RPG man in a Syrian squad? .. And will a Syrian sniper specifically target my squad leader? ...Or will all the soldiers in a team be shooting at only one enemy team as a whole?...

An Important question. They should act this way. In CMx1 it really did not make any difference. This made snipers next to useless except for shooting at exposed AFV crew.

Even modern real time strategy games can distribute hits on individual basis on squad level. Plus their visuals and animation are much better than in Combat Missionx1 series.

I recall Steve saying that CMx2 snipers will be accurately modeled. It would be cool to get more info on this! <bump> smile.gif

In general I think true 1:1 combat is a tall order for CM, because they're still at the "squad level", and really can't do all the LOF calc's between all individuals, and model every object that you'd use for cover like in an FPS (without choking the game speed). I think it's just a matter of BFC chipping away at the level of abstraction, like breaking squads down into teams. From the AAR thread it seems we can expect US squads to have "support", "assault" and "security" teams/elements. But we still haven't heard what this _really_ means in practice to the gameplay...