possible Elite FOW issue: communication b/t Stryker cmdr & passengers.

Hi there.

I'm having lots of fun playing through all the scenarios on the demo on Elite (yes, it's taken me this long, and I'm not done yet), but I've noticed one oddity in regards to spotting and targeting while playing through Going to Town:

***WARNING: POSSIBLE MINOR SPOILERS FOLLOW***

I was having a platoon Strykers with infantry embarked leapfrog each other up the North side of the map in a classic bounding overwatch -- one pair of vehicles providing covering fire while the other pair is moving forward.

Generally the tactic worked pretty well. I received sporadic small arms fire from the buildings, and a few RPGs, but no effective hits.

However, I noticed one oddity: Usually, in my stationary, overwatching Strkyers, the "airguard" soldiers of the squad riding in a Stryker would spot the source of incoming fire (enemy infantry units in buildings ~200m distant, more or less in the frontal arc of the Stryker) before the Strkyer commander manning the RWS would spot anything.

So far, not a big deal. Though I do wonder what the purpose of all that fancy optics stuff in the RWS is, if it's consistently beat by the Mk. 1 eyeball. . .

But here's what really gave me pause: In most cases, even 2 minutes after the airguard units riding in the Stryker had spotted an enemy infantry unit, the Strkyer with its RWS in which said airguard was riding, *still* hadn't spotted the same enemy infantry unit. So I could manually target Area Fire in the general vicinity of the enemy infantry unit with the RWS , but direct fire from the RWS was not possible since the enemy was unspotted as far as the Stryker was concerned.

What gives? Are the infantry riding in a Stryker, and the Vehicle Commander manning the RWS completely incapable of exchanging information? I should think that, if the airguard spotted an enemy unit actively firing, by two minutes after spotting the contact they'd be able to communicate information about the location of the enemy unit to the Commander manning the RWS, and the RWS would be brought to bear. All the more so because the vehicles were stationary at the time.

Am I missing something here, or is something that needs to be looked at?

As always, perspective from the guys with Real Life knowledge and experience most valued. . .

Cheers,

YD

[ March 11, 2008, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: YankeeDog ]