Steve Grammont explains where CM:SF comes from

WHERE GAMES COME FROM

Unlike books, which can be, and usually are, produced by individuals, games require a considerably different environment while being put together...(T)hese stages are:

1. Definition of the subject. Someone must decide "precisely" what the subject of the game is to be, as well as the scope, scale and time frame. This can, and often must, be done by one person. This individual is the game's designer, more often than not. If not, it must be done by someone with experience with games. That is, someone who has already designed games.

2. Research of the subject. Some of this had to be done during Step One, unless, as is often the case, the designer already has a good general knowledge of the subject. This step is rather critical, but is one of the few steps that can be accomplished through the use of "conventional" skills (any one with some skill at historical research.)

3. Integration This is the most important, and most specialized, step. It must be done by a competent game designer. It involves putting the research material into a game format which will fulfill the game subject as defined in Step One. Along with this, the designer must keep in mind that the game must also be mechanically "clean" as well as realistic.

4. Development. (Also called "finishing"). This is perhaps the most lengthy and time-consuming process (bad design work will make it even more so.) It should be done by someone other than the designer. You can look at something more objectively if you're not too close to it. During this stage, the game's rough edges are worked out (the game is "debugged"), playtested and the rules written. The designer has to be constantly available to rework, as is often necessary, the "integration" of the game's elements in order to correct imperfections discovered during the development phase.

5. Production. This step ends in the actual printing of the game.

Oh, this isn't Steve talking. I find this article so fascinating because it was written before the first widely available commercial personal computer was even invented. It comes from Strategy & Tactics Magazine in the January 1972 issue. Hell, tactical board wargames were only about 3 years old at that point, the very first seeing print in 1968-69.

I get the feeling these game-making fellows have been at this for a hell of a long time. I love that they were using "debug" even then.

I just thought it might be a change of pace if instead of defending umpteen design decisions, if and when he gets a moment, Steve might want to reflect in a non-confrontational manner on some of his thought processes vis a vis subject matter, etc. Those of us in the beta forum have been treated on occasion to his thoughts so perhaps as time permits, he might share some of his insights here? Like I said, behind the scenes stuff is of great interest to me, and the research that went into the game is quite impressive. Madmatt hinted at some of the digging he did on ammo stowage, for instance. I'd love to know more about research, inspiration, etc.

Maybe some of the other BF.C fellows could comment on the 5 steps and their involvement in it, if that would be appropriate? Even the beta testers don't know too much about it. Is this a fair description of the process?

That’s fascinating... I've been in the game industry over 13 years and I've written volumes on PD, planning, execution, best practices, etc... And in all my time I never thought to wonder what people did back then with "creative content development"... That’s awesome, and though it lacks some detail and the steps are a little different, the principles are the same today.

Philosophies are thousands of years old, no one is coming up with anything new there, it's the methodologies that support the philosophies that help define success...

I've reinvented the wheel 30+ times and counting... Creative content development is an interesting beast... Thanks for this, makes me wonder what other treasures are to be found in the days of yesteryear...