About the general attitude

track

I was away from the forums for some time and as I came back I noticed a significant change

in general style of discussion and attitude.

People seem to argue about personal matters and jump on anyone who is presenting something that has been discussed earlier on at some point or is coming up with some unconventional ideas.

If the subject does not interest you or seems stupid just don't reply. No need to shovel ten tons s**t on somebody's face.

How are you supposed to ever get new members if the athmosphere has became hostile to outsiders and new members?

This is not an attack againts anyone particular. Just a personal opinion.

Discussion surely was more constructive during the developement of CMBB.

It is kind of frustarating to see a dozen new threads a day about either "This game will fail!!" or "I'm not a huge fan of the subject matter, but I'll give it a try anyways." While I would like to encourage membership in the forum, there is lots of repetition(I bet I spelled THAT wrong!) in the new posts. It just gets kind of old. I don't mind the "give it a try", as they are easily ignored, but I feel that the true idiots are in need of an Internet-style smackdown, and usually end up getting one. I'm almost getting bored of telling fools that they're wrong, though. Either I'll need to man up and school some idiots, or the stream of them will have to slow down.

Maybe it did get bad as well during CMBB.

I don't see the point in predicting about will the game sell a lot of copies (Battlefront should do the thinking for that) or who likes what/who.

Is it supposed to be about game developement and the features people want to see in the game series?

Having read a lot of these posts about dissapointed gamers I think that perhaps their unhappiness ultimately stems from the idea that it just doesn't seem cricket (or fun) to be simulating a super power light the US (plus NATO forces too..even though they may have to wait to the next module)fighting against a small country like Syria. I, for one can empathize with this. Fo rit seems for many (from a gaming standpoint ..and not real life)that fighting a huge world war where nations are desperately fihting for their national survival is more "fun" and satisfying than playing sceanrios where a huge country pick on a small one with the goal of not losing too many men in the process.

On the other hand that seems to be the world in which we live now and that is just the kind of wars that we have seen hapen and are the ones that are likley to happenin the future. Thus BFC in their desre to build something thatis credible is focusing on that kind of war.

On the other hand given the CMSF will support 3rd part scenarios I imagine that manuy of the scenario designers will not have the same rediblility scruples and as such they may build scenaros that postulate a different kind of future war. For instance they may create scenarios for a hypothetical world war III situation where all hell breaks loose. For example at the same time US forces invade Syria (or a Syria look alike) China Attacks Tiwain, North Korea South Korea, Iran attacks Iraq and Kuwait, and who knows what else happens. Thus one could (if they are just that ornery) think of CM:SF as a World War III: Syrian Theater of operations (wher eit wouldbe like say a Burma in WWII) if one wants and there is nothing stopping them form doing this and building scenarios that simulate that type of war.

Given all this the question is just how much lattitude for "off-white" 3rd party scenarios will the game support? Perhaps the real problem is not the game (for it looks like it's gonna be great" or he setting (for it looks fine too) but BFC's marketing strategy where they are perhaps focusing too much on their intended use of the game and not giving enough attention on what the 3rd party scenario designers will actually do with it. Perhaps a "better" marketing strategy might be to still emphasize the way the game is "suppose" to be played but also brag a bit about how flexible the game system will be and how it can also be able to support players and sceanrio designers who want to reenact Armeggeddon (sp?).

Now in addition to BFC's marketing strategy it seems that they have a new business strategy of not selling $200 dolars worth of game for $50 anymore...and who can blame them! As such they want to limit the scope of the game so that they can get a decent cash flow so that they can not only stay in business but pay the rent as well. I, for one, am all for them staying in business (and paying the rent too, for that matter). But perhaps both this marketing strategy and business stargegy can be executed such that it does not preclude (and in perhaps some ways supports) use of the game to satisfy a wider market/set of interests that includes those who want to play their CM like wargames that cover a broader range of future battles in addition to playing more "historically accurate" future hypothetical battles. I don't know exactly how this would translate in actual game capabilities but perhaps it is more a matter of marketing and packaging than it would be in actual game capabilities. On the other hand perhaps a few "minor consessions" (and Blue on Blue and Red on Red would be an example of this) may help and thus adding a select few "bonus" vehicles to the TO@E such as T-80's or whatever to support say a bigger war where Syria might get "lend lease" equipemnt from China or Russia, or the war is fought in 2009 and not 2007, etc may allow for the 3rd party scenario designer to employ their creativity and imagination to devise reasonbly credible (sp?) scnearios that might scratch wider itches for bigger battles in bigger wars that are not scratch by the BFC provided scenarios. I am sure that this would not make everyone happy but it might make almost everyone a bit happier.

I was away from the forums for some time and as I came back I noticed a significant change

in general style of discussion and attitude.

hah. These boards have always been teetering on the edge of anarchy.

I am surprised that battlefront puts up with them.

I am also surprised by the lack of faith exhibited by some long standing members.

battlefront IMHO is doing the right thing.