I need some help with frame rates....

I spent quite a bit of time screwing around witin the configuation options. In and out of the game. Tweaking this and that.

But can somebody tell me what to tweak within the configs. to get decent framerates. One thing Idon't want within in the game is to "watch the grass grow" as I move along. I find that irritating.

Also, what should I consider as decent framerates?

I seem to have to run the sim on medium settings to get what looks good to me, fps wise (14-19).

But I am hoping I can run somethings on high,especially terrain wise.

Any suggestions?

Sys. Specs.

AMD Athlon 2400 2.0

1024 ram

geforce 4 5200 128

Cobra AW 850 sound card

Thanks. WT

As much as I'd like to help anyone with a Pink Floyd quote in their sig....I'm afraid that, IMHO, you are not going to be able to increase the graphics quality and get good frame rates with that graphics card.

I'm running a P4 2.4 gig CPU, ATI 9800Pro and 1024MB RAM and have still had to turn some graphics settings down to get smooth graphics.

I would suggest two things though. Firstly: Turn off the FPS counter! Tweak the graphics setting till they look smooth to your eye instead of trying to reach a certain figure.

Secondly, I used to have an FX5600XT and was having terrible performance issues with it in Lock On. Eventually I tried some performance drivers by a guy called Omega. These helped a lot (even though I still had to overclock my card to get close to the performance I was looking for).

If you want to try his drivers, here's a link to his web page

Wango Tango-I just installed an ati 9600xt 256 from newegg that set me back 93 bucks shipped. Though its far from a great video-card, it runs all my games (cept t72 bof) really, really well. Get around 40 fps on Il-2 PF almost completely maxed out. I think with some tweaking, patches, and good advice, it should someday be able to run T-72 fairly well. Anyway, for my limited income dedicated to technology, this was one of my better purchases. Good luck.

First of all, it isn't a Geforce 4 5200. It is a 5200FX card, and that card was one of the WORST cards ever made.

Not only is the card completely out of date (by about 2 years), but it was very lousy the day it was released.

If you are going to buy a new card, buy a CURRENT generation card at the very least. You can pick up a fully loaded 6600GT for only $125 now. It would be silly to buy something like a 9600 or 5700 at this point.

Originally posted by WangoTango:

When lookin for a card, what is the most important factor? The amount of vid memory is obviously not #1.

Is there processor speed involved?

Here you can find an interesting thread about video cards and the factors to take into consideration.

I'm suffering from severe mouse jerkiness in the F11 map screen. I can't select nor click anything in the map view, the mouse movement is so slow. 3D views are ok, though I expected a little better frame rates at 1024x768.

AMD Athlon 64 3400

Radeon 9800 Pro

1 GB DDR400

Microsoft Wireless mouse

Any help would be greatly appreciated.