Haven Strategies

CrimsonDestiny

As some may have noted, this map may become absolutely ridiculous for the attacker.

Here's what I've been doing when I defend on the map

Jammers.png

First, I set up jammers where I'm going to put my AA turrets.

TurretsandJammers.png

Next, I put down the AA turrets near the jammers, and add ground turrets in a pattern to make a decent kill zone. Then I throw in some mines around the base of the objective hill.

Hermes.png

Next I jump in a hermes anywhere there might be a weak zone in the AA network.

TheSlaughter.png

The result is clear.

My suggestion for the attacker is to spam a portion of the map with bots in light units, with any human players dropping in a command track and ion units to take out the turrets.

When I came in that one game, the attacking team was down to maybe 4 20mm apollos, a cutter or two, and a few squads of infantry. The bots had totally wrecked the inventory.

Are the bots less likely to take out turrets now? They left a majority of them in there for most of the game, even after some landings were made.

Heh. I've always thought that there are too many AA turrets available in any given game. The number could be halved and they would still be pretty lethal.

I started setting up a defence like that in an online game, and someone said something like "nice, turret spamming". So I don't do it anymore. I just set up ground turret farms and sensor jammers.

The numbers were halved, no? There used to be a great deal more of them in the earlier beta. It's just that this map is smaller than the others.

I still think deployment range limitations are needed. It's no fun playing a guessing game to see where you can spawn - and sometimes the bots can't find a place.

yeah i played that game with yurch and you crimson.

man that was the most frustrating thing in the world (couldn't you tell?) to have only a bunch of inf and clappy 20 mm appollos left.

The ony thing that i could see changing all this entirely (and helping play balance) would be to implement the drop-pods for infantry.

find yourself screwed with no place to drop?

throw down a few infantry squads to cut open a hole in the aa defenses then drop in the AFV's.

wash, rinse, repeat.

you'd still have to waste some time but it would be manageable.

the other option of course would be to implement "nuke from orbit" by adding a single fire-mission that can be launched from orbit to cut a hole in the AA defenses.

Originally posted by adzling:

the other option of course would be to implement "nuke from orbit" by adding a single fire-mission that can be launched from orbit to cut a hole in the AA defenses.

I was thinking of something like this, except more like a modern day airstrike. A target area is selected and the liveship sends down some sort of strike fighter to blast a decent landing zone.

Give it a ten-minute rollover and the ability to the defending team to destroy the fighter, albeit a low chance with AA turrets. Maybe give it a high enough speed that the AA plasma can't hit with enough frequency to bring it down, but make sure the hermes can take it out.