Unit variation

B0nes

What do you make of this idea?

I was thinking that Dropteam reminds me a bit of Steel Beasts (Tank Sim) and a game you've probably never heard of called Parkan: Iron Strategy.

Parkan was a cross between an FPS, Sim and RTS. Basically you captured enemy installations with a variety of robots (Small, Medium, Large and Tracked, Wheeled, Flying or Walking) You could give your bots orders or take control of them directly.

One of the coolest features was that you designed your own Bots from a huge variety of parts. There were multiple chassis and turret types and all sorts of weapon types each with their own particular advantages.

Could this design-your-own feature work in Dropteam?

Example: You want to change the armour configuration on the basic Thor. You can opt to stay with the default. Or, at the expense of overall armour protection, add some Reactive armour that'll protect you somewhat from ATGM's. Or maybe Reflective armour to defeat Ion beams. Or reduce the armour and ammo loadout for a gain in some speed.

You'd probably want to limit the modifications that could be made so that the different units didn't lose their distinctiveness. There's no point having a Thor that's got the same characteristics as an Apollo.

This feature could add an extra layer of strategy to the game. Will the other team use reactive armour to nullify my ATGM units? Are those defending Thors the slower Ultra-Heavy Armour variants?