Repeated freezes

I read some comments about intermittent freezes of that program. It happens to me, too - and boy, this really sucks since there is no way to save within a mission, so when it happens, you have to do it all over again. :-(

And adding insult to injury, the game statistics count that as a failed mission. Come on, guys, ever heard of incrementing a counter AFTER an action has been performed?!

Any hints about workarounds for that freeze phenomenon - other than putting the game aside and hope that an upcoming patch will fix it?

BTW of course all drivers are up to date, I have Win-XP Home SP2 and got rid of that XP firewall and virus scanner (Win no phone home here - only penguins are allowed to use the phone...).

I can kill the process from the process manager allright, so this time it's not a Windows problem, it is that game. Definitely.

Any playing sound keeps playing, too. And when I Alt-Tab back and forth, I even get that "restoring graphics resources" message, but as soon as I see my tank again, nothing happens any more - no mouse action, no reaction to key presses, no reaction to joystick movement.