Spitfire XIV Wingman Offence Rating

cyrano01

Just looked at this and it is 2. Am I losing it completely here or didn't this used to be 3?

If the answer is "Yes cyrano you are losing it completely" then I would like to ask a follow up question. How does the Spit XIV (on a par with the Spitfire V, its predecessor by two generations) get to have a 2/3 rating when the P51D carries a 3/3 as indeed does the Me109G?

Hi Cyrano!

The answer to your first question is "Yes." The number was erroneously kept at a 3 after the switch to the new damage system (with bursts and + to damage). Note that right now (pre-expansion) the Spitfire XIV used to be the only plane with turbo, + 1 to damage, AND a wingman offense of 3. It was overpowered. The error has been corrected.

To answer your follow up question, note that the Spitfire XIV has a +1 damage rating and the P51D does not. Now as to the Bf-109G, the difference is turbo. None of the turbo planes has a wingman offense of more than 2 (pre-expansion). To make use of your turbo, fight at altitudes. A wingman offense of 3 and turbo was just too wicked a combo at very high altitude.

Just wait for the expansion! You'll have multiple choices of planes that fly even better than the prenerfed Spit XIV.

:D

Inigo, a.k.a. The Bride

[ July 25, 2006, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: Inigo Montoya ]

So the change is an attempt to balance the strengths of the national aircraft rather than to have the values reflect the actual aircraft themselves?

Now, while I realise the limitations of attempting to simulate actual performance using the very coarse variations available in the DIF performance stats, I am not a big fan of this as a philosophy. My preference would be to apply the mapping consistently and let the results fall where they may but I can understand your point even if I don't agree with it.

I'm also a Spitfire fan, how could anything that aesthetically beautiful possibly have a lower wingman offence rating than a nasty angular 109G :D

Cheers

Cyrano