Points / Victory results

Strider

I can 'see' what's happening, and I think I sort of understand the results.

It's just that when I shoot down both bad guys and both of my pilots are still kicking, but I see "minor" victory, and in a different game, none of us get shot down, but I receive a "substantial" victory, that gives me pause ;)

The later : Green Brits (5-4) went against very experienced Germans (7-5). Each Brit got 1 damage on the Germans (7-5), and only the German leader got 1 damage on the Brits (5). There's an 'other' points factor...Brits (5-5), Germans (4-4).

I'm just curious about the thinking behind how the points/victory are determined, and what factor(s) make up the "other" for points earned?

It's kind of a complicated matrix, but it basically boils down to comparing the "Starting Point" ratio to the "Victory Point" ratio to determine a level of victory.

If the two sides are roughly equal in starting point value, then in order to get a Minor victory, one side will need to score 1.3 times as many points as his opponent.

If your side starts with between 75-85% of your opponents point value, then you would receive a Minor victory even if you scored only 70% of his victory points.

Also note the way that scoring works. You get the value of the aircraft each time you damage or destroy it. So, if a 9-point pilot damages a 12-point pilot, he gets 12 points. But the stronger pilot only get 9 points if he damages the weaker pilot.

If the weaker side can just stay even in terms of the number of damaged and destroyed aircraft, they actually come out ahead in terms of points.