Mac: How to turn off contextual menus so control key works

Ok, so how do I get a menubar, so I can choose to "turn off contextual menus in Combat Mission"?

With them on, everytime I control click I get a contextual menu instead.

I mean, hasn't apple said not to use the control key along with clicks as a modifier since it introduced contextual menus back in 8.0?

Guest Big Time Software

Oh sorry... brain fart on my part. smile.gif

I don't understand your problem though. CM doesn't use contextual menus at all, so why do you need to turn them off? What is on the contextual menu that appears? What version of MacOS are you running?

Charles

Umm, maybe I'm the one not making myself clear.

If I try to control click anything within CM, the standard apple contextual menu shows up, because I control-clicked. So my question is how do I control-click something within the game, or are those directions based on the PC and with the mac I'm supposed to do something else?

re universal ati installer 4.2 - use mac os 9.0.4's ati software, it's more recent. pre-mac os 9 users can extract the ati sw using apple's tomeviewer or instacompone. contact me or any mac developer to get those tools

re contextual menus - control-click moves me around the map or locks view to a unit just fine with mac os 8.6 on a 7300/180. do you get the 'standard' (finder?) contextual menu when you use a clean recommended 8.6 install?

I'm not about to make a special extension set to play this game. Yes I get the standard Mac OS CM popup when I control click a unit. If it used one of the newer APIs like OpenGL, I could drop to windowed mode and turn them off like for any other ap, is there a way to get a windowed mode out of the RAVE that CM seems to use?

In the past, I have also raised the question about Contextual Menus.

Control-clicking is how CM enables you jump quickly around a map.

Unfortunately, it's also the key-combination for Contextual Menus.

So, with Contextual Menus turned on, you can't use the control-click feature of CM to move around the map.

It would be great if a different key - such as Shift, Option, or Command - could be used in CM.

------------------

--

Toad

Ontario, Canada

Guest MajorH

Strange. I don't get a contextual menu when I Control + click in CM - Mac G3 with MacOS 9.0.4.

However ...

Try using the desktop Edit/Preferences menu item. When the prefs window appears, check the box labeled 'Simple Finder'. Easier than doing a special extension set.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MajorH:

Ty using the desktop Edit/Preferences menu item. When the prefs window appears, check the box labeled 'Simple Finder'. Easier than doing a special extension set.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was a good suggestion! Thanks! I didn't know that switching to "Simple Finder" would turn off Contextual Menus in the Finder.

I am also using a G3 with OS 9.04.

Unfortunately, the Contextual Menu still pops up when I try to Control-click in CM. It could be because I have added some Contextual Menu modules to my set - the extra ones are the options that appear in CM.

BTS just chose the wrong key! smile.gif Any other key except "Control" would work fine!

------------------

--

Toad

Ontario, Canada

Guest MajorH

I did a bit of Internet surfing today and it looks to me like your problem is related to the installation on your system of a thing called Apple Data Detectors. Apparently if this extension/control panel is installed then the use of Control Key + mouse click in an application gets intercepted by the Apple Data Detector and a MacOS popup contextual menu appears instead of whatever the application wanted to do. From the dates on the various documents that I found about this it appears that this option first appeared in 1998.

How does this extension get installed? I have installed every MacOS since the dawn of time and have never had this extension appear on any of my Macs.

I admit that I don't know the history of this extension but it seems incredibly stupid for Apple to try to reserve to itself the use of the Control + click combination at this late date. Most of the biggest selling commercial applications have used that combination for program features for many years. Also over the years Control + click has come to be almost a defacto standard in cross platform coding for replicating the functions of the right mouse button when doing a PC to Mac conversion.

Can anyone tell me more about this extension and its history?

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

I did a bit of Internet surfing today and it looks to me like your problem is related to the installation on your system of a thing called Apple Data Detectors.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Y'know - you could be exactly right. I *do* have the Apple Data Detectors on my system.

I added them manually, after downloading them from the Apple Web site. They're increadibly cool and useful. I always considered them to be an *addition* to Contextual Menus. But, perhaps they operate independently. I'll try some things, and post my results.

------------------

--

Toad

Ontario, Canada

I found it!

Contextual Menus and Data Detectors can be installed and active and still allow Control-clicking in CM to move you around the map properly.

The extension, "Contextual Menu Enabler" needs to be disabled. This old extension extends Contextual Menu functions to applications that don't have it built-in. In the case of CM, it interferes with the Control-click map moving.

Contextual Menus in applications designed for it continue to work fine without the Contextual Menu Enabler extension.

------------------

--

Toad

Ontario, Canada

warning, off topic! this is all just mac os trivia

I did a bit of Internet surfing today and it looks to me like your problem is related to the installation on your system of a thing called Apple Data Detectors. Apparently if this extension/control panel is installed then the use of Control Key + mouse click in an application gets intercepted by the Apple Data Detector and a MacOS popup contextual menu appears instead of whatever the application wanted to do. From the dates on the various documents that I found about this it appears that this option first appeared in 1998.

How does this extension get installed? I have installed every MacOS since the dawn of time and have never had this extension appear on any of my Macs.

I admit that I don't know the history of this extension but it seems incredibly stupid for Apple to try to reserve to itself the use of the Control + click combination at this late date. Most of the biggest selling commercial applications have used that combination for program features for many years. Also over the years Control + click has come to be almost a defacto standard in cross platform coding for replicating the functions of the right mouse button when doing a PC to Mac conversion.

Can anyone tell me more about this extension and its history?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ADD were a mac os 8.5 CD extra, ie a user had to find them on the CD as they weren't part of the system install. note that they never made it into the system install, IMHO a pity since they're a cool idea - let the user copy whatever patterns the detector looks for from any data they select

#define kRant 1

IMHO there's quite a bit of current mac os ui that was thrown in because it existed on copland. contextual menus are one such. apple could have taken cmd-click - shift-click and option-click were already used - and stayed consistent about using the command key for, well, key commands. <growl>

sorry, i worked on mac system software at that time - still do - so apple's IMHO increasing UI inconsistency is a big sore point for me

#define kRant 0