SC2 Newbie loves the AI

Longtime player of SC1 here. I bought SC2 a while back, but just didn't get into it until recently (thanks to Fantoma's classic mod and the 1.05 patch).

In all of my SC1/SC2 games as the allies against the axis AI, I have never touched my troops in Egypt. Well, in the game I started this weekend, I decided to transfer an army, a tank unit, and the hq from Egypt to France in an attempt to slow down Germany's conquest of France.

That part worked ok, although I did lose a couple of armies, but Germany did drive me from the contintent.

What happened next was cool, though. In all of my previous games, the axis have never made a big push to take Egypt. I have always had plenty of time to build up my forces there until I launched an offensive against them.

Not this time! The AI must have calculated that I had severely weakened my Egyptian defenses, because, soon after the fall of France, Rommel shows up outside of Alexandria with a few armies and a tank unit.

The next thing you know, I am thrown out of Alexandria and hard-pressed to hang onto Cairo! And now, in attempting to send more troops from the UK, I realize that they have to take the long route around the Cape, because the axis now control the Suez Canal!

I never would have dreamed that the AI would have decided to launch an offensive against Egypt, because they had never done it before. But here I sit, feeling much like Churchill. I've been thrown off the continent and now The Desert Fox is at the gates of Cairo.

Great game, Hubert!