Posted this earlier re: A better model for sub war... thread

Originally posted by An Old Man:

Wow! Head to head Grognards!! Cool! tongue.gif *joke*

Very interesting info. Swung by the boards today to cry about the current state of my email game vs. my worthy foe: Etienne G. (Not sure board name?)

So... EG invests some tech in Subs, gets L3. First time I have played someone vs. sub investment. All I can say is... OUCH! :eek:

Granted he had Italians with him, but I think he could have swept aside my Royal Navy with his two L3 subs alone! Wow, even ships retreating into the ports were like ducks.

Anyhoo, just wanted to say, "WoW" ... L3 subs.. L4 or 5 would be flat out scary...

--AOM

But it got me thinking. Probably nothing new to any Grogs out there, but the below thoughts of my current game helped me enjoy the well crafted strategy of the game even more, so thought I would share while waiting for EG's next PBEM turn to me.

AXIS ADVANTAGES:

1.) You choose when and where to attack. This is hard to defend as Allies. Will Axis go Med? Early Sealion? Tough to know where to put limited Allied resources.

2.) You choose what to invest in. As allies, do I invest in sonar? What if Axis is investing in Air or Tanks? Lost mpp's cant afford. As U.K. I didnt feel like I had a whole wealth of Mpp's to invest.

3.) MPP's early. Use for Diplomacy and research early. You have the whole game to maximize chances of getting some advances. Allies have a hard time getting any significant money in Tech or Diplo at least imho for the early game.

ALLIED ADVANTAGES:

1.) The more ground the Axis take, the more cities you might be able to sweep in and cherry pick. Norway is classic. Guarenteed to get a city in Norway and probably not worth Axis to garrison all three cities after they take.

Just some thoughts. Having a blast. Thanks to DD, Blashy, others, and of course HC!

--AOM --AOM

[ May 21, 2006, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: An Old Man ]

Interior land for Axis, yes. Exterior and fragmented sea lanes though, unless Gibralter falls. At least Allies have connected sea lanes and two routes into the Med. Its not just the size of the Allied fleet that matters, its that most of it (except Russians) has near free deployment.