While this may be difficult to quantify, I am wondering to what degree elite commanders act as a greater "force multiplier" than their less skilled brother officers. For example:(1) Is it more valuable to save Gen. O'Connor in Egypt or reconstitute him from the dead pool if he is killed there (at a cheaper cost) or should the Brits "go to war" with Monty even if it means delaying other purchases or offensive actions? (2) Along these lines, are the elite commanders(Manstein, Zhukov etc.) so valuable that their purchase takes precedence over military units even if it delays offensive action? (3) Since the identity of commanders is usually hidden from opponents is there some way to tell when the opposing commander is much better than yours (all other things being equal)and if so should you operate your own elite commander to this sector to fight his? (4) Finally, since the Italians have no elite commanders does this make building army groups around them not a cost effective idea?

[ September 27, 2006, 07:25 AM: Message edited by: The Great Santini ]

Command rating affects Readiness only. Therefore, assuming one leader with 4 and one with 8, unit with Strength 10 & and Morale of 80 and no Combat Morale Bonus (HQ's experience bonus):

((Strength+Command Rating)/2+Morale+Combat Morale Bonus)/2

Italian HQ @ 4

((10+4)/2+80+0)/2

I'll hold off on the rest until someone confirms that I've got the first part of the equation right. It just looks wrong as even with a 10 Command Rating the first part can only be 10, making it insignificant compared to morale.

I'd guess that Strength and Command should each be multiplied by 10. Sound right?

EDIT: At first glance, it seems that I was wrong. Check out Voice of Reason's thread.

[ September 27, 2006, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Bromley ]