Combat Results Calculations

I have a question about combat result calculations in SCII and WAW. According to Bill Macon (in part one of his recent article on SCII’s artificial intelligence system in The Wargamer):

“Besides the fuzzy logic embedded in the AI algorithms, there is an editable +/-1 variability added to combat calculations for uncertainty and surprises in combat results.”

Fair enough — although for the record I am convinced that I am always adverse side of this supposed variability! But I digress. My specific questions are as follows:

(i) I assume this +/- 1 variability is true of both SCII and WAW and also applies with or without the use of AI (i.e., that his variability is inherent for all attacks in human vs. human games)? That certainly seems to be the case. (I obsessively check the predicted results numbers at the top of the screen before all attacks.)

(ii) How does the “damage evaded” result from bomber attacks relate to the +/- 1 variability Macon is referring to? Is the “damage evaded” notation a reference to this +/- 1 result or does it arise from something else?

Thanks.

MJY, Hubert can clarify, but here's my take:

(i) The +/-1 variability has been integral to the game since SC1 was introduced. All it means is when attacker/defender losses are calculated according to the formulas, actual losses may vary by +/-1 for either or both sides.

(ii) The damage evasion is a percentage chance, as described in the manual:

Bomber attacks will first strike the resource and then there is a 10% chance (+10% for each level of Heavy Bomber research) that a defending unit located on the resource will also suffer a strength point loss.
I assume this is what you're refering to, which is different than the combat results variability?