Russia not in war - still able to build up military?

I basically agree with you, though I disagree about there being a Ground Combat defense, Ground Combat offense.

I think I understand what you're after, which is a way to represent the doctrine advantage Germany had at the start of the war, and the Allies learned as the war progressed.

But I'd accomplish that another way.

Mr H has gotten the basic approach correct, in that he has SOFT and TANK combat factors. SOFT representing the artillery and TANK representing the armored fighting vehicles (be they little "tankettes" or evolved "medium battle tanks").

We need some sort of Tech Advance for SOFT combat factors, not so much to represent better artillery, but rather a representation of heavier and/or more artillery. Without something like this, there is no way to represent the huge firepower advantages that "generic" US units had over everyone else.

Just as important, is another Tech category to represent Armored offensive power and its counter, anti-tank weapons. Again, Mr H has the basic concepts correct, but we get problems in the way its implemented.

Fighter Aircraft, Heavy Bombers, ASW, Submarine Warfare... I'm right there with you.