CDV 1.01 patch problem with Windows 2000 machine

Quintus

Having downloaded CMBB_v1_01_Patch.exe from the CDV site, I took the precaution of copying the unpatched combatmission2.exe, turning off my virus checker and closing down all my background programs.

I applied the patch which appeared to run successfully but when I came to run the game, I got the CDV splash screen which then vanished and instead of the game options screen one would expect I got :

"Combatmission2.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created."

The Unpatched .exe still works just fine.

I poked about for an error log and located an entry in drwatson.log

-----------

Application exception occurred:

App: (pid=1216)

When: 11/25/2002 @ 11:20:51.355

Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)

----------

PID 1216 is the process number for Combatmission2.exe on the occasion I ran it with the task monitor running.

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem and/or can someone suggest a remedy?

Miffed,

Quintus

As a post-script to the above, I thought I'd detail the "Things I have tried so far to fix this".

*) Installed a fresh copy of Direct-X

*) Deleted the 'Combat Mission BB prefs' file

*) Re-applied the patch

In all cases, the patched version of the game crashes in the manner mentioned previously BUT the unpatched copy of the .exe file runs perfectly.

This makes me suspect the patched .exe of being a little 'iffy'.

Anyone got any fresh ideas for me to try?

Yup, I have the full sized (64.9 meg or thereabouts) patch and the game, patch and direct X were installed by a user with full admin rights to the machine.

For an experiment I also logged on as the machine's own administrator account and tried it.

Same problem.

The patch seems to work okay on my 98 machine (after I deleted the 'Combat Mission BB Prefs' file to force a re-query of screen resolution and re-installed direct-x) so that at least re-assures me that the patch is not corrupted.

>Since this is a CDV version and patch issue you

>will need to pursue this issue with CDV's Tech

>Support.

>Madmatt

So far, I haven't had anything but an automated response to the web-based submission form I sent in to report the problem.

Still, early days eh? One can hope...

However, if anyone else DOES have a similar problem and manages to solve it... lemme know? Please...

(Mental note to self : Buy the US copy of the game next time...)

Problem solved.

It's a copy protection issue with the CDV version of the game and windows 2000.

I shall now stand in the corner with a big 'dunces' cap on my head!

I had been using a copy of the CDV 1.0 version of the game on my 2000 machine, whilst leaving the original CD all nice and safe in its' case so as not to risk damaging it (Only ever using it on my 98 machine, which is not that often).

(I believe that an 'on site' backup is a kosher thing to do, as I own the game and want to avoid damaging the original)

It would appear that whatever copy protection CDV used on the 1.0 game doesn't work on windows 2000, so my 2000 box quite merrily ran the game...

Until I installed the patch...

It only occurred to me last night to try the original CD in the 2000 box after reading someones' concerns about Virtual-CD and the CDV copy protection system.

So...

Mea Culpa

Mea Culpa

Mea Maxima Culpa

I'll be over here... in the corner... feeling stupid...