So I took a days off work to see Warsaw, Poland. I guess it kind of a must-see for ww2 buffs.

Warsaw was completly destroyed during the war, and all of it has been rebuild. But nothing have been forgotten and through out the city you will see memorial signs of massacres committed by the nazis.

two must sees:

Warsaw uprising museum

As late as 1990 it was forbidden in communist Poland to view the uprising as something more than bandits and german collaborats. However since fall of communism, the polish state has created an honary museum to the home army's uprising in 1944. This tragic and heroic event is depicted in large two stories building with tons of good info in both polish and english.

Highly recommended for all ww2 buffs and all who want a closer look a polish bravery caught in a titanic struggle between Soviet Union and Germany.

Polish army museum

Information is provided mainly in polish which makes it a bit hard for a foreigner. However they got a really good ww2 section with uniforms and arms of the polish armed forces. Even the german goliath viechle is present.

The true gem though is the outside yard where collections of ww2 and cold war weapons can been seen. Here are some examples:

T-34/76

T-34/85

Is-2

T-55

Sherman M4A1

Jagdpanzer 38 "Hetzer"

german armoured personel carriers

etc

Yak-9

IL-2

TU-2

plus lots of british and russian howitzers

take some time off to go to Warsaw. With the low-budget airlines prices are cheap for european citizens.

[ April 09, 2008, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: Kuniworth ]

Doubt I'll ever get there, Kuni, but thanks for posting this. Hopefully some of it will be laid out on the Internet.

In the World at War DVD the producer said one of the shows big disappointments was not being able to devote at least one segment each to Yugoslavia and Poland in WWII.

-- I remember a Kurt Vonnegut interview in the mid-70s where he mentioned filming the Battle of the Bulge scenes for Slaughter House Five in Rumania because so many German tanks and assorted equitment was left there at the end of WWII.